iphone 3gs freezing

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Macbrainwracked, May 12, 2012.

1. Macbrainwracked macrumors newbie

I purchased a iphone 3gs off of ebay, I am kicking my self in the butt over it now. For the price I payed the phone was a little worn when I got it, but I thought ok that is fine as long as it works. Well turns out it does not work that great :(. I was going to send it back but I ended up cracking the digitizer! on accident so I am stuck with it, and my only option is to fix it now.

The iphone freezes and I have tried restoring it several times. The phone will boot up like normal and go to the lock screen but will either freeze a few minutes after being on the lock screen, or the screen will shut off while on the lock screen and once I push the sleep button to get the screen back on it will freeze. OR it will freeze when I slide the slider to get into the phone. So I can't even get into the OS. I am at a loss of what the issue is or what to do. any ideas? I greatly appreciate any help that is offered! :confused:

2. iSR5 macrumors member

Try again to restore it on DFU mode with OFFICIAL iOS (NOT JAILBROKEN) then see if you see the same problem, then i guess it would be a hardware problem.

3. Macbrainwracked thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, how do I get official IOS? I restored through Itunes, I am assuming that is with official firmware? I really hope it is not a hardware issue, but I guess it is what it is. A lesson learned.

4. iSR5 macrumors member

you can get the official firmware either from itunes itself, or download it from here:
    iOS 5.1.1 for iPhone 3GS
    Download it, then turn your iPhone to DFU mode, then plug your phone and open the itunes.
    on the itunes window, hold the Shift key and click on restore..
    Choose the firmware that you downloaded it...

5. Macbrainwracked thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried restoring with the method you suggested and it is still doing it. I guess I am out a phone for now. I should have know better.

6. iSR5 macrumors member

I guess you need a replacement for your digitizer :eek: