iPhone 3GS Full Bars, Still Dropping Calls

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chadwik147, Sep 4, 2009.

1. chadwik147 macrumors newbie

Hey, first off i want to apologize if this is a recurring problem that has been discussed here, I just got off work and am tired, so I didn't really search, just thought I would drop a post here, then check in the morning. So if this has been discussed, i apologize, if a poster could link some info to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Now,

I have an iPhone 3GS, my wife has an iPhone 3G. Both w/ AT&T. The past two weeks, we have noticed we have dropped calls, and on some occasions cannot make calls, while having FULL BARS/Service. I got a text the other night at 5:45am, the text was sent at 5:05am. Here's the thing, it is only really bad at my house. I go out, drive down the street, its fine.

My first reaction is a failed tower or something like that in the area. But it's been two and a half weeks. I think it might be something bigger.

The thing I don't get is that my signal strength is displayed as excellent, yet the service is not.

I have heard AT&T is tweaking their service a bit, making way for MMS and tethering, and this might cause a service problem, but once again it's only at my house and it just started happening in the last few weeks.

Anyone, have any ideas or solutions. Anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. hsk macrumors regular

The past two weeks have been the same for me. I bought the 3GS in June because they had upgraded the network here in Austin and I had good coverage. Now it is getting bad and I am hoping it is just tweaks they are making for MMS. ANd I just hope it is short term.

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It has been discussed, and at length. In the future, it really doesn't take much time to do a search for 'dropped calls.' Almost certainly less time than it takes to write a post apologizing for not searching.

There are many things other than signal strength that affect call quality and call dropping. Among these are network congestion, hand-offs between cells, and interference. Besides that, some people find that AT&T has more trouble with dropped calls than other carriers (though I have not experienced this myself).

4. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

its the same thing at my friends house. our iPhones say full bars, but the service is garbage. and when i go literally a block away, the service is fine. AT&T has some random dead zones all over the place, but i don't know why the phone says full service when it isn't. you might just have to deal with it until it gets fixed. and if it never gets fixed, you might call AT&T to see if thats the problem or not and ask them what can be done