Iphone 3GS, good intro to smart phones?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Newton42, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Newton42 macrumors newbie

Hello, So I we recently moved over to tmobile and since most of their prices were great we all decided to get phones like the Samsung Galaxy. Except for my mom however she decided to stick with a plain ole flip out keyboard phone. I have no problem with it but I recently bought a Iphone 3GS for 20 bucks and figured maybe It would be basic enough for her to like. I assume it's not getting the latest updates but will it still run most apps? It looks a lot less complicating that my dad's Galaxy S but I haven't got it yet to find out. Anyone have good experiences with the 3GS recently?

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah it would be a great phone for someone who is coming over from flip phones. You got a good deal at $20.

3. Azy macrumors regular

A lot if apps no longer support or work on the 3GS. My lad has one to play with without a sim and he's finding more and more that most apps he tries to download are no longer supported. Would be fine for surfing the internet tho

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I think you should use it for a while and see if it's smooth-operating enough.

One thing that turns people away from technology is, hard to use and watch the paint dry slowness.

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 68040

I only just replaced my 3Gs with a 5s last week. It was my first smartphone. People say that a lot of apps are no longer supported, but most of the common ones are. It runs all the way up to iOS 6. iOS 7 just launched with the 5s/5c. There aren't that many exclusive apps yet.

Of course, not every app runs blazing fast, but still not a bad starter smartphone.