iPhone 3GS GPS hardware fault? (a-GPS only)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sreedy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. sreedy macrumors 6502a

Hi Guys, my iPhone 3Gs GPS has stopped working accurately. It's like I only get A-GPS narrowed down to a few 100 yards. I was using my iPhone as a GPS in the car but that now is rarely on the right road (Google Maps and Copilot), plus I use GolfShot GPS whilst playing golf and I can see from that it's always at least 100 yards out. I also installed GPS Status App which always says bad signal. I've tried leaving it running for 10-15 mins out in the open, I've tried turning of 3G (which was an issue once). I'm on the latest iPhone software and I've done a restore........ I'm wondering if it's a hardware fault? Anyone else ever heard of this?

I'm going to the Apple store tonight to chat to a Genius but I'm out of the 1 year warrantee :( :(

2. sreedy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Update on this is that Apple 'think' it's a hardware fault on the GPS unit, I can buy a new one out of warrenty but it'll cost £139.... so I'm claiming on my insurance for a hardware fault.... no sure if they will cover it but I have highlighted that I use the GPS alot and it's a major part of why I purchased the phone....

3. chosenkill6 macrumors newbie

Is your phone unlocked? If it is then it is most probably on 6.15 baseband. This baseband is the same as the Ipad baseband and it is required to unlock iphone 3gs. For now there is no solution as you cannot downgrade your 6.15 baseband. It is not a hardware faoult if you are on 6.15 baseband. if you are not on 6.15 baseband then it is most likely hardware and you may have to get a replacement.