iPhone 3GS GPS icon arrow is always on.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zombify, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Zombify macrumors newbie

I recently installed the Tom Tom GPS app, and everything was working fine. The GPS icon would disappear after I was done with the app. However, this morning when I woke up, the GPS icon was on, and remained on constantly, no matter what I did. Does anyone know why this may be happening?

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

Check this link for the manual http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPhone_iOS4_User_Guide.pdf and go to page 197. It describes the icon is shown when something is used in the last 24 hours as well as currently being used. You can try and turn location services off and then check to see if there is a particular app you recently installed that uses location services. There have been a couple of reports of some that leave it on because it is constantly sending location information. Try turning all location services off in Settings and see if it goes away. If not right away, after turning it off, do a reset on the phone and see what that does.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

What iOS version are you running? I used to have this problem all the time on 4.0.1 and I would restart the phone to make it go away. Hasn't happened to me since I upgraded to 4.1, but I don't know if that's a coincidence or not.

4. vcv123 macrumors newbie

5. Zombify thread starter macrumors newbie

I found out what it was. The arrow will stay on for a certain amount of time, then a TomTom message will appear saying that Tim Tim will close unless you specify otherwise. When I choose to close it, the gps arrow goes away.

6. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Well yes. With iOS 4.x, apps don't really 'close' anymore. They sort of stay backgrounded and if they're using any services that may be used outside of the app, they will keep using it. Only way to close apps fully as you did in 3.x is to close it from the multitask bar. Not doing so probably also ruins your battery life when it comes to a big GPS app like that.