iPhone 3GS GPS.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AWallen90, May 9, 2011.

1. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

Are there any GPS applications that I can preload a route from home so that I use minimum data while on the go?

From what I understand the GPS does not use data but loading the google maps while driving does use data.

Thanks in advance everyone for your insight.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tom-tom, navigon and many others save the maps on the phone so you don't need to use any data to navigate.

3. AWallen90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Do you have any experience with Garmin's Street Pilot it seems to be the cheapest and I've always had good luck with Garmin products. I also cannot tell from the description of Street Pilot if you can preload all the maps you need.

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

First, why did you make the title have absolutely nothing to do with the content of your post?

Second, no, Garmin StreetPilot does not preload.

5. AWallen90 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry about that, how do I change the thread title? I was just stating that I have a 3GS and I have a question about GPS. I should have been more descriptive.

Do you have a link to the specific tom-tom or navigon you guys would recommend there are several versions available.

6. mattkowalski macrumors member

Depends what kind of GPS app you're after. As long as you don't need turn-by-turn directions, I'd recommend MotionX GPS.

I've used it on several trips abroad. You can either pre-load a circular area or a the area between two points. It lets choose the levels of zoom you want, and whether you want a terrain map, or a road-based map.