Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

radioActivesco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Hey everyone, I know this has been discussed a lot over here, and trust me I have googled almost every single page of this issue, have tried almost every possible solution.

For starters, my friend gave me his 3GS iPhone (new Bootrom), Serial number is 88952LBK3NQ (week 52 of 2009) hoping that I could fix it as it was showing the iTunes USB Cable Logo:

itunes-usb-screen1.jpg

And as I considered myself quite familiar with the process of restoring firmware, I went ahead and restored it to Stock 6.0.1 through iTunes, I have no idea whether the Baseband or the WiFi were working before this, and my friend either..

Anyways, it all went smoothly, it restored, right away I shut it off and I went ahead and Jailbreaked it too, (I didn't Install the iPad baseband), so after Jailbreaking it, it boots up but the Baseband is Blank, the WiFi is greyed out, I have no signal and all that stuff.

One thing though, the battery seems to be dead, I leave it to charge, it charges but the battery's percent changes from time to time, and the iPhone keeps restarting (even when its charging) and the battery has somehow cracked the casing on the iPhone:

kfLzNls.jpg

Those lines on the case were caused by the battery getting swollen (lol), I asked a guy that works on a iPhone shop, he told me that was done by the battery.
Now I was wondering if maybe the battery was the fault over here, that maybe it isn't being able to power up the baseband perhaphs

I've tried pretty much everything, Installing iPad baseband, Downgrading the Baseband, Installed Stock 4.1, installed Custom 4.1 as 4.1 and 6.0.1 were the only options I had as I couldn't find SHSH blobs for any other firmwares, I tried it with redsn0w and TinyUmbrella, but they only find the 6.0.1 blobs.

I've been trying for quite a while now, as I do not own the iPhone and I kind of bricked my mate's phone..

I just wanted to know if the almost dead battery might be the case here, if so I might take it to a iPhone shop and get it changed, as the iPhone's Serial Number is compatible with the new iPad baseband and that stuff.

I'd really appreciate some help from you guys.

Thats all, have a great time everyone.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I once unlocked my first gen iPhone and interrupted the baseband flashing process. After that, the baseband chip was permanently broken and the phone wouldn't show IMEI, baseband, wifi, etc. To fix it, I replaced the motherboard and comm board which I got off of a donor iPhone. Your phone is doing the same thing, so it's toast.

Take it to Apple and pay whatever they charge to replace it. That's your cheapest option at this point.

radioActivesco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions, well since I don't live in the USA, I live in Europe, I can't really take it to the store, plus it's not even mine, so yea, I saw on a post found on Google that a guy fixed his phone and was able to get the baseband back after changing the battery and restoring the firmware, and considering the fact that its a week 52 of 2009 which should be okay with messing around with the baseband and stuff, so I was just wondering if its worth the shot..

If someone else has any suggestions I'd be thankful.

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.