iphone 3gs HELP PLEASE!!!! AND THANKS!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cskysla90, May 24, 2011.

1. cskysla90 macrumors newbie

Ok so I'm not technology savvy at all when it comes to apple. I'm moving to an area where the only coverage is at&t. I was wondering could I purchase the iphone 3gs 8gb, its on sale now for 49 bucks with the 2 yr contract but unlock it WITHOUT the sim card it came with (saw a few videos on how to do it) and then activate it with a go phone sim card? Its just a thought, I was thinking if I did it that way it wouldn't link me to the plan that came with the phone, but I still be able to keep the phone???? AGAIN its just a THOUGHT. I really don't mind getting a plan at all, but I'm just thinking of cheaper ways here.
    THANKS! :)

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The iphone you will receive wont be able to be softare unlocked.
    Unless you decide to install the ipad baseband in order to unlock it and lose your GPS functionality.
    I wouldnt buy a new phone and do that to it but up to you.
    If you do you wont be able to restore to official firmware and you wont be able to go back to the original baseband version and who knows if there will be a fix for the GPS issue.
    But again in order to use a prepaid AT&T gophone sim you dont need to unlock it. You can just leave it like that and it will accept and work with any AT&T sim even prepaid ones.
    You will only need to unlock if you want to use it with Tmobile USA or any other international GSM carrier.

3. cskysla90 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if i ordered the phone online with the contract &plan, but use a prepaid sim card instead of the card it came with, would I still be subjected to paying for the plan I selected or will I be alright with using the prepaid? haha again im not sure how this stuff works.

4. 87am macrumors regular

You will still have to pay for tge contract you signed up for

5. cskysla90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha Ok thanks, again I don't have a problem with that. Just was wondering.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You will be still under contract for 2 years for that line that you got the 3GS under.
    But you can remove the iphone data plan since you're not using it with that sim and then do whatever you want with the phone. Use it on prepaid, sell it, burn it etc.....