iPhone 3GS help please error 1015 when restoring with itunes

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bobbytallant, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Hi guys

I have an iPhone 3gs that was on 4.3 and had the baseband 6.15.00. I purchased this from eBay after the guy claimed that the phone was unlocked.

Anyway, after attempting to upgrade/restore the iPhone I now run into the 1015 error code. I think the guy must have had some custom firmware installed.

I am hoping I can salvage this - I am not bothered about it being unlocked - I just want it back like it was originally. Can anyone help me? Is there a guide to getting around this?

I have jailbroken iPhones before but I am far from technical when it comes to these things. I really would appreciate your help!

2. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

6.15.00 is an iPad 3G baseband version. The previous owner updated to it because it is unlockable with ultrasn0w on Cydia. There are ways to downgrade the baseband to a normal iPhone baseband, but then it cannot be unlocked.

Look up how to downgrade from 6.15.00. From there, you should be able to restore stock firmware.

3. bobbytallant, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that yes I have just been searching youtube - this vid has a lot of views:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZgbOkUupNI

Is this the same issue as my issue that is trying to be resolved in the video? If not can you recommend a guide for my problem (I am OK at following instructions lol).

I really don't want to start a guide and realise that it is trying to resolve a different issue...

Thanks again for your help so far - again i am not too clued up about these processes...

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Myzhi

The previous poster is incorrect. You can not downgrade the baseband on 3GS phone.

You are getting that error because of the installed hacked iPad 6.15 baseband. Once that baseband is installed, that device can not update or restore like normal with the official firmware. It can only be update / restore using a custom firmware file (one that does not change the baseband). Get one by Google or create using Pwnagetool(Mac) / Snowbreeze(windows).

Also, if you wish to restore to a firmware Apple no longer allows, you will need to deal with SHSH files. Google if you don't know what they are and steps to use them.

5. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for that. OK so I need a custom firmware file - I am currently downloading from http://www.geohot.us/2011/05/ios-433-custom-ipsw-untethered.html

^ This seems to be what I need for my 3GS

Again, i am not too interested in unlocking it - I just want it back to the original way it was and preferably so I am able to update to the latest iOS as normal...

I will have a look at SHSH files although again I think I could be struggling if this is a complicated process!

6. bobbytallant thread starter macrumors 6502

After a bit of searching around, I am hoping that this is the correct guide I need to fix this issue:

http://everythingapplepro.net/?p=221

Can anyone confirm that I am on the right track with a guide like this?

Thanks again

7. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Do this

Restore to a stock 4.1 ( apple has started signing them )

U will get 1015 error
    Use tinyumbrella to exit recovery.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

That is incorrect. You can only downgrade the baseband on a 3G, not a 3Gs.

OP will simply have to see what blobs he has and then create a custom firmware, put his phone in pwned DFU and restore with iTunes.