iPhone 3GS help unlocking

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by King Royalty, Dec 29, 2011.

1. King Royalty macrumors newbie

Hi, I would like to unlock my iPhone 3GS so I can use it for T-Mobile! It has a newer bootrom, untethered jailbreaked, firmware 05.16.05, iOS 5.0.1, and serial xx130x

What do I need to download to get this thing unlocked?

2. atlantatan1 macrumors member

1. Download 3GS 4.1 to your computer.
    2. Download tiny umbrella to your computer.
    3. Put your phone in DFU mode, shift +restore (if you have PC) or Option + restore (if you have Mac), then point it to 4.1 fw.
    4. Itunes will restore your phone.
    5. At the end of the restore process, Itunes will give you a 1015 error. hit okay, close Itunes.
    6. Open tiny umbrella, click on your device on upper left hand corner, then hit exit recover on the upper right hand corner. Your phone should boot up to activation screen.
    7. Use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to install Ipad baseband.
    8. Use redsn0w 0.9.6rc16 to install Cydia (reason to do it separately because if you do them at the same time, redsn0w might crash.)
    9. Install ultrasn0w from Cydia to unlock your phone.

The reason you can downgrade to 4.1 without SHSH blobs save because Apple still sign this firmware. So, you are okay to downgrade.

3. King Royalty, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

King Royalty thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, when unlocking does my phone have to be in a specific state? like would i need to turn off airplane mode during unlock so that T-Mobile would work?

4. BennieNeedsHelp macrumors newbie

need help too

I have the same phone. Got it off ebay. Was able to jailbreak and flash to ipad baseband. Ran ultrasnow and it wont completely read my tmobile sim card. It tells me I have voicemail but says there is no signal and cannot dial.

Also, I am afraid to sync this with itunes. is is ok to sync with itunes?

Everything else is working fine.

5. King Royalty thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I downgraded from 5.0.1 to 4.1, wouldnt I need to be on a custom firmware to install the ipad baseband so i can unlock? also how can i tell if the os is on custom or stock?

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I will let Atlantatan1 helps you on this first. Look at the thread I link here and look at post #4. Familiar? :rolleyes:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14081174#post14081174

7. King Royalty thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea but thats a copy and paste no real effort there, and he doesnt state how would I know if I am running a custom os or not.

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You don't need a customs firmware to flash ipad baseband. Just follow my instruction as per above and you will get your phone unlock at no time.