Iphone 3gs help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by johnstaboii, Jul 18, 2009.

1. johnstaboii macrumors member

OK so at the beginning of August I will be eligible for a new Iphone 3gs but I have a few questions that I wanted to be sure of before purchasing said phone:

1. What exactly is jailbreaking? I know you can install 3rd party software, but is it also possible to get the software you would normally pay for for free?

2. Is it possible in any way to cancel the $30 data plan if I buy my phone through cingular with a 2 year contract? I talked to two customer service representatives and they both said that you must have the $30 data plan and I just wanted to confirm the validity of this. Is this true even if I jailbreak it? Sorry for all the questions but I just want to be sure I won't be stuck paying an extra $30 a month.

3. Is it possible to jailbreak the new iphone 3gs? I know I use to be big on psp hacking and it was very hard to hack certain firmwares, and I wanted to be sure this one was hackable.

OK so that's all the questions I got for now! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    1. Jailbreaking is technically gaining root level access to the device. You can install unapproved applications and made modifications to software that Apple would normally not allow. And yes you can get apps for free, but we aren't allowed to discuss that topic on this forum.

2. No, if you are using an iPhone on AT&T they will know, and you will be required the data plan regardless of whether or not it's jailbroken.

3. You can jailbreak the 3G S with either Purplera1n or with Redsn0w. They both do essentially the same thing.

3. johnstaboii thread starter macrumors member

Ah I see thank you for the fast response!

So there is absolutely no way to cancel that $30 data plan? What if I have data disabled will I still be able to disable it or do like a pay per use kind of thing like I have with my current phone? I also saw that there was something like IMEI spoofing. What is that? Is it illegal? And if I do that will I be able to cancel the data plan?

4. johnstaboii thread starter macrumors member

also I been reading more and it appears the only way to change an imei would be with ziphone. Would it be possible for me to load ziphone if i got an iphone 3gs?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Ziphone isn't compatible with OS 3.0. And a lot of people had their phones permanently messed up because of that program.