Iphone 3GS Home botton not working!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cap2587, Apr 1, 2011.

1. cap2587 macrumors regular

I have an Iphone 3GS and the Home button is not working. I press it and it keeps me on the same screen. I went ahead and did a factory restore through Itunes, but that didn't help. Am I right to assume that the issue is hardware. If so, what could be the problem and how would I go about fixing this. I have taken an Iphone apart, therefore I could tackle this again. Appreciate the feedback.

2. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

hardware issue,
    buy a new button and replace it or pay 200$ to apple for replacement

3. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

You could get a quote from Apple of how much it is to replace the home button. I had the same issue on my 3GS last year, I took it into the Apple store and they fixed it in 2 minutes for free.

4. 87am macrumors regular

Do you have the app "Weather" or "Home" installed by any chance? Those are actually viruses that disable the homr button. The quick fix is a quick 5 second zap in the microwave. It will kill the viruses.

5. cap2587 thread starter macrumors regular

87am, Are you serious about the micorowave for 5 sec. There is the weather icon on the Iphone, but doesn't that come pre-installed. Where can I buy a new home button for the Iphone? Thanks

6. cap2587 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I may have solved the issue. The top part of the Iphone has come up slightly. That means that I have to squeeze the metal surrounding piece to the plastic bit below. When I do this and press the home bottom firm it works. I will try and glue the pieces together to bridge the gap. Then I am hoping that I will not have to press as hard. Thanks for the help.

ps Is there anyway that someone could give me advice on the below post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1129504&highlight=