iPhone 3GS Home Button Repair

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mitsitsad, Nov 19, 2010.

1. mitsitsad macrumors member

Hello,

I regularly buy and sell iphones on craigslist and ebay - I look for beat up ones that are repairable - typical repairs like glass, back cover, lcd, etc to make a good profit

I bought this one iPhone 3GS that the seller described as a 'bad backlight' - I figured itd be an easy lcd replacement and I'd be good. However, as soon as I turn the phone on I get the voice control popup, and the home button does not work. Simply holding the power button gives me the hard reset, so it appears like the home button is stuck down (input-wise. it is not physically stuck and it feels fine when I push it)

Once I popped it open I saw that the water sensor on the bottom side of the logic board had tripped but the others were ok so it was obviously exposed in some way or another to liquid (spill maybe?)

Anyway, I'm wondering if this is something that is repairable with an lcd and home button replacement or if this is something triggered by a bad logic board. If it is the logic board, it won't be worth my money to repair it and I will sell it on ebay as-is.

Also, from powerbookmedic.com, I looked up the serial and found it was manufactured in march 2010. Therefore this must still be under warranty, and I can easily replace the tripped water sticker. Does apple service a phone that is less than a year old but not owned by the original owner?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out the best way to fix this phone - if possible I would much rather fix the phone, since its on 3.1.3 and can be upgraded while keeping the baseband unlockable

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

warranty is on the iPhone not the owner. and very shortly 4.2 will be out and the JB and Unlock will most likely be shortly thereafter.