iPhone 3GS - Hot or Not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Michael73, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

My cousin just bought a house 3 weeks ago and last night had an open house. Since he lives on the other side of town where there's lots of new neighborhoods that I'm unfamiliar with, I thought it would be a great opportunity to use the maps on my new iPhone 3GS. For the entire 30 minute ride, the phone sat in a cradle in my car charging while alternately jumping between the maps and my pandora app. When I finally got to my cousins house, I was amazed at how hot the back of the phone was.

Is anyone else finding their phone running really warm/hot? I even have a rubber skin and the heat was coming right through it.

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

I get the same on my 3G is I use maps alot, especially if using the GPS for directions

3. firewood macrumors 604

Yes.

Charging the battery heats up battery.

Maps turns on the GPS radio. Use of the GPS keeps the CPU from sleeping as much.

Maps and 3G while traveling has the 3G radio turned on very often.

Traveling far from a cell tower may turn up the 3G transmitter power to max.

Outdoors in the car may turn up the display auto-brightness to max.

Use on the dash of a warm car in the sun may not allow much air cooling.

What's the maximum operating temperature of an iPhone? Anyone have a thermometer they can tape to the back of one while doing this?

4. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

my iPhone gets lovely and warm in my hands when playing tap tap, not something that really bothers me but I heard that is discolouring people with white iPhone 3G-S'

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

FYI, the iPhone will automatically turn off when it gets too hot. It also gives you a message telling you that (something like you need to let your iPhone cool down).

6. the-sandman macrumors regular

the-sandman

Yep, it'll tell you when its too hot and you won't be able to do anything with it till then. Only had it show up once when i fell asleep in the sun with iPhone back up to the sky, it was actually too hot to handle! :rolleyes: