iPhone 3GS - How can I hacktivate?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GGMagic, Mar 5, 2011.

1. GGMagic macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Hi guys,

So I have an iPhone 3GS (locked to Telus) which has recently been restored to OS 4.2.1 through iTunes. Issue is I don`t have a Telus SIM card to activate the phone.

Is there a way I can hacktivate the phone for the time being? If so, could you direct me to a tutorial as I haven`t been successful in finding one myself.

Also, are there any downsides to hacktivating like reduced battery life, loss of certain features (Youtube, push notifications, etc)?

Thanks,

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Use redsn0w or pwnagetool to do it. Or replace the lockdownd via a file browser program.

Hacktivating causes issues with push and many say causes battery drain issues.

3. GGMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Thanks Mark!

My next question would then be: when I unlock my iPhone (hopefully when the 4.3 unlock is released) would the process of unlocking also be hacktivating my phone? Should I perhaps get a Telus SIM card to activate properly first then proceed to unlock the device?

Great site btw. Used it all the way back to unlock my 1st gen iPhone and constantly refer to it still today. You do an awesome job, keep up the great work.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

yeah dude, its better to just put the official SIM to activate, then grab the unlock.

5. bengal1022 macrumors newbie

bengal1022

Please let me know if this works for you dude. I have an old 3G I want to make useable so I can sell it on eBay.

Thanks,

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Activating is separate process. You want that official SIM. Then jailbreak, then unlock.

7. GGMagic thread starter macrumors newbie

GGMagic

Got it, thanks.

Hope the 4.3 lock comes soon as I don't think the iPad BB upgrade unlock method is a good route to take. Seems like people have a fair amount of issues with it and 4.3 unlock may be around the corner..