Iphone 3GS, in Germany, on T-Mobile Pay as you Go?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by skelaw, Nov 24, 2009.

1. skelaw macrumors member

Okay, so my family is switching to ATT, but I am not in the states for the rest of the year, so they thought of opening the family plan, getting me a 3GS, and sneding it to me here in Germany, without a SIM card.

Problem is, I'm using a T-mobile DE sim card in a really crappy Pay As You Go phone.

I would really not like to have to open a 2 year account, because I'm only here until June of 2010.

so a couple of questions;

Can I unlock a 3GS without a sim card, and then put my T-Mobile DE card in?

What are some option towards getting data while not on wifi, without 2 year contracts?

Thanks for al of your help!

Aleks

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

It'll work, you'd need to jailbreak then unlock your iPhone to use the German T-Mobile SIM. But also, your family will need to buy a no commitment iPhone 3GS which is $599 for the 16GB and a 32GB is $699, unless they buy it from someone selling it. :)

3. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply!

They said something about getting the iPhone, taking out the ATT sim card and putting it in another phone, and just shipping the iphone over here.

And any ideas about data plans?

4. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

That would probably work. :) Would be cheaper most likely as well.

What do you mean any idea about data plans? For your family, they'd get what was appropriate for the phone they put the SIM in to. For T-Mobile in Germany? You'd have to ask them what the data rates are for their PAYG SIM cards. :)

5. skelaw thread starter macrumors member

How much MB would I use?

I normally would check my e-mail throughout the day, minimal web browsing during the day (have wifi at home). If it's anything like ATT, they'll give me options for 10MB, 20MB and so on.

Any idea on how much MB of data I should be shooting for?