Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FastEddi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2012
Having difficulties in determining the correct tool to use for unlocking my 3GS phone from Korea. Originally on iOS 5.1.1 (maybe was 5.0.1) and a friend offered to jailbreak/unlock for me to give to a relative for use in Philippines.

Got the phone back, apparently unlocked since Clydia is installed but he was saying something about not being able to 'complete' the unlock until 03JAN because 'the server was not available'. No further information, limited English.

Phone information:
Model: MC133KH
iOS: 4.1
Baseband: 5.16.05

A long time back, I believe it was Redsnow/Blackrain that I used to jailbreak/unlock my old 3G so I'm faimiliar with the basics. Just that I didn't want to mess with getting back up on the current methods; so much for that I guess.

Thought to use Ultrasn0w for the unlock but it doesn't show as working for baseband 5.16.05 without updating to the iPad baseband. Have read that this can mess wth the GPS accuracy and the relative will be using the map function.

Can always reset, just not sure what iOS it will go back to or if the reset will change my baseband. Alternatively I've read that it's possible to change the baseband, not familiar at all with that.

Any ideas, information appreciated, thanks.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
To unlock (software) you need to upgrade to the iPad baseband, then you can downgrade to an unlockable one. Then use ultrasn0w to unlock. But if you were to do this, you first need to determine when your iPhone was made. The first 5 digits of the serial number will tell you.

Or option #2 you can call your carrier and ask if they offer unlocks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.