iPhone 3GS iOS4 --> quiet music, has anyone else experienced this after the update?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pyroo, Jun 26, 2010.

1. pyroo macrumors member

Has anyone noticed that after the update, the music on the iPhone 3GS becomes a lot quieter? I also have an iPod touch, they both used to have the same volume, but after I updated the iPhone, it became a lot quieter. I have not updated the iPod touch and compared the both, there is a very noticeable difference, there is also no volume limit

2. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

No, but certain apps are really quiet. I mean REALLY quiet. Full volume and you can just hear a squeek.

3. pyroo thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I should've mentioned, I don't have a problem with the sounds for the apps, just the iPod music, it became a lot quieter, like someone moved the volume adjustment for every song to at least -50%

4. scrutman Guest

I totally agree. I was at a party last night and I had to put up volume at full and not even close to 3.1.3.

5. aquapulco macrumors newbie

There is already a thread here, but probably not easy to find with all those iOS 4 threads.

Yes, it is much quieter. The only thing you can do right no is to disable the equalizer. The moment it is turned on music is quieter then without it.

But this is just a workaround....

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have noticed what I thought was a hardware issue with my 3GS. When I give the headphone jack a tiny bit of a tug it goes back to full volume.

Give it a shot, maybe the software is acting different with the sensor that tells if something is plugged in or not?

7. MachAF macrumors newbie

The speaker on my 3GS is very quiet since upgrading to 4.0. One of many issues i'm having with 4.0. Maybe I'll go back to 3.1.3..

8. pyroo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info! It is a lot louder after I turned off the equalizer, hope this gets fixed soon

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

10. clavvvius macrumors newbie

Since upgrading to iOS4 on my 3GS the iPod volume has been set permanently to low.
    I turned off the equalizer and it did become slightly louder but not how it used to be.
    Anyone know of a fix for this yet?

11. Villageguy86 macrumors newbie

to the OP:

is sound check on? my update to 4 turned my sound check back on, which makes every song's preset db level equal to an average.

12. MUrhino macrumors regular

MUrhino

I've had the same problem with mine. It didn't start happening until a couple of days ago though and I've had the OS4 update since it came out. If I pause the music then press play again the volume returns to normal levels. I mainly notice it when the tracks change. Of note, I've also only noticed it with the iPod feature. Pandora seems to be normal so far...