iPhone 3GS, iOS5, "Device Not Registered" after Restore

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by GLOC, Oct 19, 2011.

1. GLOC macrumors member

During the beta phase of iOS5 I accessed a dev account to allow me to load iOS5 which went without issue until the GM which didn't show up (beta7 ran fine).

iOS5 was released and it said my software was unto date and no update took place.

I then bought an iPhone 4S and then after backing up my 3GS I went to restore the 3GS to give to my daughter for her birthday. Cleaned the 3GS out but when I connected to iTunes it wouldn't allow me to activate the 3GS.

In iTunes all I have is 'Eject' under the devices section for this iPhone.

When I boot up the 3GS I get to the activation stage and get the following message
    "This device is not registered as part of the iPhone Developer Program. ##br######br#bb#If you are a member of Program, please register your device in the @@url@@"

I have spoken to the dev and the UDID is registered and they suggested I do a restore but that option isn't available.

Any ideas? I have an appointment booked with the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple store to me tomorrow. Any ideas what they might say, other than 'naughty boy!!'

Thanks

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Keep your 3GS plugged in and throw it into DFU mode. That should let you restore it via iTunes. Google how to get it into DFU if you're not familiar with it.

3. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I managed to get to the 'Restore' option using DFU, and it downloaded the latest version of firmware but when it tries to install it says 'iPhone "iPhone" is not eligible for the build'

And when I take it out of DFU mode, reboot and plug into iTunes, the same message as above is displayed.

Any other ideas or a trip to the Apple Store?

Regards

4. Bernard SG, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Are you sure it was DFU mode (black screen) and not Recovery mode (plug to iTunes screen)?

Edit: Ok, ignore the above and try this: download redsn0w v0.9.9b6 and under "Extras" Put the iPhone into Pwned DFU mode, and try restoring again in iTunes.

5. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Yep, Black Screen as I was surprised when I unplugged the cable that I had to hold the power and home buttons to get it 'back to life', then came back with the same message as above when I went through the setup process

Any ideas what Apple might say?! "Tough!"?

Regards

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Try what I suggest above first. It could work.
    If not, tell the Geniuses that you helped a developer friend who wanted to test stuff on a 3GS, but he's unavailable as he's traveling the world on a sabbatic year :D.

7. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that. About to go out for some meetings but will try what you suggest. The Genius appointment is not until 16:00.

Regards

8. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Downloaded iOS5 GM and tried to use redsnow to restore and wasn't recognised. Now downloading 4.3.3 and will try that but thought that once you had gone to iOS5 you couldn't downgrade to 4.x

Regards

9. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Both iOS5GM and iOS4.3.3 (from Apple) are not recognised by redsnow :(

Looks like a trip to Apple this afternoon then!

Regards

10. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Did you put it in pwned DFU then just hit restore in iTunes?

11. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Didn't even get that far!

Launched redsnow, at the prompt to 'Browse' I have selected both 4.3.3 and 5.0 ipsw but get the same message 'Unable to recognise specified IPSW'

From what I remember when I used redsnow to JB my 3GS in the past (4.x), there were a series of menu options after this.

Regards

12. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Is that redsn0w 0.9.9?

13. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

D'oh!

0.9.6.b6!

Going to get 0.9.9!!

Regards

----------

Nope...

0.9.9 installed.

pwnd DFU mode selected to allow Custom IPSW

iTunes recognised in recovery mode and started to extract software to allow restore and then 'The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

:(

Regards

14. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Okay, try making a custom Ipsw from the iOS 5.0 restore software and option-restore with the resulting "NO_BB..." Ipsw in iTunes, under pawned DFU.

Does the iPhone boot at all?

15. GLOC thread starter macrumors member

Bernard,

Thanks for all your help. Not sure what the issue was but the Apple guys put it into DFU and then let iTunes install away. I watched the progress bar and it went through 'installing firmware...' 3 times before finally saying it was complete.

I now have a working 3GS with iOS5 loaded and up and running :)

Thanks again for your help.

Regards