Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SANX2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Hello hello. New to the site so pardon me if im not posting in the right place.

Alright so like the title says, I need help removing the shadows that are on my home screen. They show up underneath my app folders and the folder labels. Now im really not too tech-savvy, but I do know how to edit and replace files using SSH. So if anyone could help me out a bit, that'd be great. Thanks!

Sidenote: I was able to get rid of the home screen gradients. So i'd like to say in advance that I do not need help getting rid of those :)

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
Aren't the shadow files located in the same spot as the wallpaper gradients (/System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app)?

I remember doing this on my 2nd gen iPod touch, all you have to do is delete the shadow images.

If you still have the shadows, try clearing the cache folder (/var/mobile/library/Caches/com.apple.springboard.sharedimagecache/Persistent).

And of course, make sure to keep backups.

SANX2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Aren't the shadow files located in the same spot as the wallpaper gradients (/System/Library/CoreServices/Springboard.app)?

I remember doing this on my 2nd gen iPod touch, all you have to do is delete the shadow images.

If you still have the shadows, try clearing the cache folder (/var/mobile/library/Caches/com.apple.springboard.sharedimagecache/Persistent).

And of course, make sure to keep backups.

They are but as far as I know, just deleting them does not work. The files have to replaced.

SANX2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Fixed the icon shadows.......

Managed to get rid of the folder shadows but the folder labels still have a shadow underneath them :confused:

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
I'm also experiencing some strange behavior from my themed icon labels. When I respring or reboot my labels have shadows. If I swipe to a different home page and back the shadows are gone.

87f8f00b.jpg

d1b30595.jpg

Notice the Messages label is the only label without the shadow. I've edited the info.plist to the Noki theme I'm running here to eliminate the label shadows yet after respring the shadows remain until I swipe away from the home screen and back..

Last edited:

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>DockedIconLabelStyle</key>
<string>margin-top:-1px; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 10px; color: white; text-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.8);</string>
<key>UndockedIconLabelStyle</key>
<string>margin-top:0px; font-family: Helvetica; font-size: 10px; color: white; text-shadow: 0px 0px 0px rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.8);</string>
</dict>
</plist>

This is for white dock and undocked icon labels, no shadows..

EDIT: But the shadows remain until physically swiping to another page and back, minor irritation but an irritation none the less as by default my setup is just one page.

It's almost like the icon shadows are cached!!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.