Iphone 3GS is duplicating numerous contacts entries with Microsoft Exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Imola Ghost, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I'm trying to help my wife figure out why she is getting numerous contacts with her work Microsoft Exchange.

We also have MobileMe and she'd rather use that but I don't know much about the Microsoft Exchange. I do see when her iPHone is connected to iTunes it does say something about her phone is being synced over the air by Microsoft Exchange and the this may result in duplicated data showing on your device.

Does anyone know how to remedy this? I think she'd be fine with just syncing with MobileMe and I've turned off syncing the contacts on her phone in the Exchange mail settings.

2. Magnets macrumors newbie

I had the same issue, in the end I went into contacts, clicked the first of the duplicated entries, clicked edit, and right down the bottom linked the duplicate cards together. This removed the multiple entries from the contacts list, and changing one of them will change all of them.

3. 184550 Guest

Turning off Exchange in Settings as you mentioned solved that problem for me. I didn't have to go back and delete any duplicates.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

that's because she is looking at her exchange contacts and her normal iPhone contacts at the same time.

If you want to keep them separate and just look at one of them only, you can go into the contacts app, at the top there is a group tab and you then can select which contacts database you want to see when opening your contacts app...

If they are exactly the same contacts and want to just use the exchange contacts for everything and sync them through the air, you can go into the mail exchange settings and turn off then on contacts and tell the phone to delete the normal phones entires when asked and you will then only have the exchange groups in the phone, and every time you add someone it gets added to the exchange group and synced over the air...

EDIT: the same could be done w/ MM if that's the one she wants to use...