iPhone 3GS issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by solientblack, Apr 26, 2011.

1. solientblack macrumors newbie

Hello guys, new poster here. I have nowhere else to go except for the Apple store which I do not want to do just yet.

Last night, I was getting out of my car and I had my iPhone on my lap. Naturally I forgot that it was there and it fell on the floor. I inspected it for damage and didn't see a scratch or anything. I get inside and further inspect the phone and I noticed that it shut off. I tried to turn it on like normal, and then once that did not work, I tried to reboot it (home and power held down together) and that did not work. I also noticed that it fell where the Vibrate On/Off switch was, because of a scratch I could not see outside.

Anyway, I tried charging it via USB and then rebooting it. All that would happen is the Apple screen came up for about 10 seconds tops and it would shut off by itself. I tried charging it via the wall charger and I got a bit farther:

the Apple screen would show up, and go through the normal motions. It told me I needed to plug it into iTunes (which I can't) so I knew I had to have screwed something up. All I am able to do is make an emergency call. The phone says I have No Service, it is the wrong time, it also has an alarm icon near the battery, and the battery itself is saying it is charging from 0%-1%. Once I take it off of the charger it dies right away. I did some research this morning before posting and I found that it could be that the battery had come loose in its fall, or screw came loose, whichever.

Have any of you experienced this before? Have a solution? Anything?

Thanks in advance.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I don't have any idea about the battery issue, but the No Service part could be indicative of the Sim card coming dislodged. I'd try pulling out the Sim tray and making sure that the card is seated properly.

3. solientblack, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

solientblack thread starter macrumors newbie

Quick update. I've made some more progress. I thought I had not been able to get the phone into DFU mode. I tried it a few more times (the steps of how to get it into DFU mode) and finally its restoring. My phone is staying on with the Plug into iTunes screen. will update once it is done restoring and installing the firmware.

edit: blevins just to be safe I took the sim out and made sure it was seated properly. thank you for the reply

edit2: it says the iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unkown error occurred (1604)

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

If it's in DFU mode, there should be nothing on the screen. It's in recovery mode, not DFU. 1604 is a common problem when restoring in non-DFU mode.

5. solientblack, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

solientblack thread starter macrumors newbie

re-did the DFU mode steps. iTunes came up again and said "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes.

Steps I used just so everyone knows what I am doing.

1- Phone is off already, so no need to power it down.

2- Held Home and Sleep keys for 10 seconds WITH iTunes open, continuing to hold the Home button until iTunes gave me that popup box with the "iTunes has detected..."

3- Hit restore, it attempts to do so, and about 2-3 minutes later it gives me that 1604 error message. When it first starts the restoration process the screen flashes white then an Apple logo appears, and has the circular loading icon at the bottom for about 5 seconds and it powers down again. Then I get that error a few minutes later as i mentioned just before.

It is in DFU mode. The screen is blank, nothing is there.

edit: I even tried the SHIFT, then click Restore button just to try everything once. Same process happens that I mentioned in step 3.

edit2: updating iTunes to the latest version and trying again., same message even with new iTunes and a new computer, new usb port, and even a new usb cable.