iPhone 3GS jailbreak/unlock help

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by antimonyfunk, Oct 25, 2011.

1. antimonyfunk macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Having quite a bit of trouble jailbreaking and unlocking my 3GS running iOS5. I used redsn0w successfully once, installed Cydia and ultrasn0w to unlock it. It got to the "reboot" screen in ultrasn0w, and got stuck on the apple logo/"loading" wheel. I've tried restoring a few times and succeeded once so now it's a clean phone that isn't able to be activated, but since then it has started giving me a 3004 error in iTunes when I try and restore.

My question is... What do I do from here? Should I restore the stock 3GS baseband and start from scratch/how would I do that? It doesn't matter if anything gets wiped, as I'm doing this to sell the device tomorrow.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's because its a tethered JB.
    In order to restart the phone you will have to boot tethered with redsnow every time.
    And depending what baseband you have at the moment it might not be unlockable and might need to install the ipad baseband.

3. antimonyfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the iPad baseband right now, but I'm wondering if I can install the stock baseband to start over in case I screwed something up.

----------

Also, is it still jailbroken even though I've restored it in iTunes? I thought that removed the jailbreak so I would have to re-install Cydia. After installing Cydia, it starts to boot up with the Apple - is that the point I boot with redsn0w?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you can never install stock firmware or the stock baseband once you went the ipad route.
    If you try to install stock firmware you will put your baseband in an inconsistent state, and you’ll need to reflash the 06.15 baseband again (using redsn0w). Be very careful if you use redsn0w to reflash the iPad baseband — don’t interrupt the process! And avoid using stock IPSWs in the future.

No, once you restored its obviously not JB any more.
    You will need to create a custom ipsw and restore in pwned DFU mode.
    And every time you need to reboot you have to use redsnow and pick the option just boot tethered now.

5. antimonyfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll try that, thanks!

6. antimonyfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

All of that worked just fine. Successfully installed Cydia, installed ultrasn0w and did the respring and tethered boot successfully.

Is there a way to test if it's unlocked for sure? I don't have easy access to another SIM, as the only other ones I have around the house are micro SIMs. I assume it should say "No Service" with my old AT&T SIM (that came with this 3GS that recently was upgraded for a 4S). I mean, other than that, I guess we'll see tomorrow when the guy picks it up.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you have modem firmware 06.15.00 and installed ultrasnow then it's good.
    Go to settings,general,about and check.

8. antimonyfunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Check and check. Thanks for all of your help! :D

9. ^^DrAKe^^ macrumors newbie

what do you mean by inconsistent state?? (not that i wont be using custom ispw file)

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Means you will have problems unlocking and losing/fluctuating signal.
    If you tried upgrading to stock firmware with the iPad bb then you should flash it again using redsnow.

11. ^^DrAKe^^ macrumors newbie

my iphone 3gs has the bb 5.14.02...so can i upgrade to ios 5 using stock firmware(no point preserving this bb) and then upgrade to ipad bb( no options left...waited long enough).
    also i have heard there is an untethered jailbreak of ios 5 available for 3gs..true?