Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marra2

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
york england
dont install winterboard its not ready yet and will put your phone into safe mode and you'll have to restore ! and don't install anything that requires winterboard cos it installs it at the same time ! I just found thids out the hard way :mad:

entraik

Suspended
Jan 22, 2009
should i do a restore via itunes?!? I think this freezing problem is occuring because i installed ultrasn0w. Is it safe to restore?

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Does this restore your iphone, or does it keep all your contact, messages, music, etc. on the iphone?

AlexiFortuni

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2008
the exe. keeps crashing ... tells me the program was closed due to an unknown error.

windows vista 64bit.

maybe because its a 64bit version??

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
1. Please make sure your using Windows XP 32bit on a physical machine. not a VM or 64bit version etc... Windows XP inside bootcamp seems to work fine.

2. If you dont meet this criteria then you will get random crashing of the exe file.

3. Please make sure you have the latest version of itunes installed.

4. backup your iphone contents before even starting the process.

If your getting stuck at restore mode, do the following (written by aldude):

1. Run the app - says "Done, waiting to reboot" or something - nothing happens- you *may* get the image with geohot in the rain, but wait for about 6-8mins, if nothing happens then proceed to next stage:

2. Close the ra1n app

3. Unplug the iphone & switch it off

4. Plug it back in again

5. Re-run the app

6. Bingo - the rain guy appears on the screen. App says waiting to reboot again - this time it happened after a minute or so.

7. After reboot (& entered my passcode), new icon Freeze somewhere on the Springboard - run that, and press the Install Cydia button. Bingo.

Once you've isntalled cydia through Freeze, restart the iphone and cydia will be available on the desktop. PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL WINTERBOARD AS IT IS BROKEN ATM. for Installous add the following source: "http:\\cydia.hackulos.at"

Dureing the above process I left itunes open in the background, it will pop up randomly when the iphone is in restore mode. just click ok, but leave it running in the background.
:)

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
1. Please make sure your using Windows XP 32bit on a physical machine. not a VM or 64bit version etc... Windows XP inside bootcamp seems to work fine.

2. If you dont meet this criteria then you will get random crashing of the exe file.

3. Please make sure you have the latest version of itunes installed.

4. backup your iphone contents before even starting the process.

I backed it up, but if everything goes right, will it restore my iPhone, or will it keep all of my info on there?

acm29

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Ok I got the picture of the guy holding the iPhone. But that's it nothing has happened yet been about 6 minutes.

Plugged in -Yes
Windows-XP 32 bit
iTunes 8.2 installed
everything backed up.

What to do?

egraphixstudios

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
Ok I got the picture of the guy holding the iPhone. But that's it nothing has happened yet been about 6 minutes.

Plugged in -Yes
Windows-XP 32 bit
iTunes 8.2 installed
everything backed up.

What to do?

repeat the above process i've listed.

i.e. unplug, switch off iphone and close purplera1n, plug in phone and re-run purplera1n.

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Wow, that was by far, the easiest jailbreak ever.

Total time, about 3 minutes.

NYR99

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2007
Its a good feeling when it all works :D

Yes it is! :D lol. Ive been waiting for a while. I had my 2g jailbroken, then when I got the 3G on launch day, I never ever jailbroke it. It's nice to be jailbroken again.

I just installed five icon dock.

Since Winterboard doesn't work, what else should I install?

acm29

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
repeat the above process i've listed.

i.e. unplug, switch off iphone and close purplera1n, plug in phone and re-run purplera1n.

WORKED !! the guy holding the phone took about 5 minutes then it rebooted. patience is a virtue... well 5 hours later i have cydia.

crex23

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
East TN
This is the beta version right? And the official version comes out Monday? I have Windows Vista 64bit and I followed all the steps, but it doesn't even start the jailbreak, it just says 'Waiting on Phone' which is plugged in. Will the official jailbreak include Vista 64bit, or am I screwed?

emoo69

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2009
Yep - I had that problem. Did some searching elsewhere though, got it working and didn't need to restore. Here's how I did it:

1. Run the app - says "Done, waiting to reboot" or something - nothing happens.

2. Close the ra1n app

3. Unplug the iphone & switch it off

4. Plug it back in again

5. Re-run the app

6. Bingo - the rain guy appears on the screen. App says waiting to reboot again - this time it happened after a minute or so.

7. After reboot (& entered my passcode), new icon Freeze somewhere on the Springboard - run that, and press the Install Cydia button. Bingo.

I now have a JB 3GS 32GB :-D in UK on O2. Running SBSettings and Five Icon Dock, and that's it cos I'm new to this scene... better go and look for something useful!

THX! it worked

atlantatan1

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
I just JB my 3Gs used purplera1n with my WD XP and after down load cydia than put in ultra sn0w and the phone unlock with T-mobile and working great so far.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I just wanted to be sure I have all the files I need for future jailbreaks. I followed iClarified's tutorial and did a dfu restore. I have two files one called iBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu and one called iBSS.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu both are 104kb in size. Are these two files all I need?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.