iPhone 3GS jailbreak & unlock OR replace with warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SuperSnakee, Apr 29, 2011.

1. SuperSnakee, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

SuperSnakee macrumors newbie

So I bought a second hand Iphone 3GS which is a few days old. However, the phone was locked to rogers and i wanted to use on another carrier (mistake on my part). The BB is 5.14.04 so there is no unlock (im not doing the ipad firmware due to issues and warranty void)..

should i go to Apple and be honest with them that i bought a locked phone and would they kindly exchange for factory unlocked..? would they do it?

i called rogers and asked them about $50 unlocking services and their CSRs told me it doesn't exist.. I called three times and none of them helped.. absolutely useless and they recommended jail-breaking.. which i dont plan on doing.

what should i do? i want to retain the warranty and have unlocked phone

woops posted in wrong section, mods can u please fix? thank u

2. spinstorm macrumors 68000

Apple will not replace the iPhone that is locked with an unlocked iPhone.

It's not how they do things.

But there is an option... It's expensive but will work.

Certain websites now offer remote unlocking of iPhone models. These are official apple iTunes unlocks.

Obviously it's not through your carrier so it's definitely not cheap.

I believe you are looking at around £100 UK ($200) which is probably more than the phone cost. Do a google search for remote iPhone unlock. As long as the site only asks for your IMEI and doesn't ask you to jailbreak then it's the type of unlock you want.

Of course it would probably be cheaper to resell your used iPhone and buy an unlocked iPhone second hand.

Good luck.