iPhone 3GS- Jailbreaking/Unlocking Accident......

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hpaiste, Aug 8, 2010.

1. hpaiste macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Today I took on the task of unlocking my old iPhone 3GS, as it is out of contract. I have Cydia installed, and I went to the settings on my iPhone, and selected 'Reset All.' Opps. Now the phone refuses to boot up, and all the phone's screen shows me is the Apple logo, a spinning wheel of death over the logo, and near the top right corner is a thin line of various colors. I really have no clue where to go! Please help anybody..

Thanks-

2. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Connect to iTunes, go into DFU mode, restore. Then you can rejailbreak.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

What you did will delete everything on your phone including the firmware. It typically takes just over an hour to complete and you will have to restore your phone. Unless you have SHSH saved then you have to restore through Itunes to 4.0.1. You can then jailbreak with myjailbreak.com and unlock with Ultrasn0w.

4. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

That URL should be jailbreakme.com and not myjailbreak.com.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

6. hpaiste thread starter macrumors newbie

I would do that, but iTunes does not recognize the phone, and I can't get the phone off either to get it into DFU mode.

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

8. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

your right it does work sometimes but that is where everyone is having problems.

9. hpaiste thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't think you understand.... the phone is not accesisble. I can't get past the Apple logo and the frozen spinning wheel. It freezes and just keeps rebooting itself every 20 mins.

10. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

jailbreakme.modmyi.com is just a mirror of jailbreakme.com. If anyone's having problems with jailbreakme.com it's most likely to do with them not clearing their cache etc. The sites are the same.

11. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

Yes iTunes is not going to recognize the phone yet. You need to put it into DFU or restore mode first. Google for instructions.

12. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you were given your answer by the 2nd and 3rd poster.

13. hpaiste thread starter macrumors newbie

is there a way i can put the phone into DFU mode or restore/recovery mode without turning it off? because the phone is not letting me turn off

14. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

So are you saying holding down the power button and home button doesn't turn the phone off? It sounds like you haven't tried yet.

15. hpaiste thread starter macrumors newbie

but those are two different answers.... do i let it sit and wait for an hour or jump in and put it into dfu mode ?

16. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

to do a dfu restore you do not turn it off! you need to google iphone dfu restore and the first site that pops up is iClarified. follow the instructions.

17. hpaiste thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much ! i have it in recovery mode now and it looks like smooth sailing now ! thanks everyone!

18. dav146 macrumors regular

dav146

How to enter DFU mode.

If you are getting error (1) or error (6) while downgrading the firmware, you need to put your iPhone in DFU mode before you can restore or downgrade the firmware.

Step 1. Turn off your iPhone.

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.

Alternative Method:

Step 1. Connect iphone to USB then listen to the sound when it connect and disconnect.

Step 2. Hold the home and power buttons until hear the disconnect sound then release power button.

Step 3. Wait until you hear another sound then release home button

19. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    seems like this info for recovery mode is info I should keep handy if I encounter any problems unlocking hte iPhone 3gs I'm hoping to pickup tomorrow to jallbreak/unlock and use with t-mobile

20. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

dfu recovery mode is something you should never forget!

21. atrac7 macrumors regular

I did a similar thing today and feel awfully stupid about it

I had a jailbroken, unlocked 3G with SOME OS that was 3.0 and above. It had no sim in it for awhile and I figured i'd give it to my dad so I went in thinking the reset all settings would be "efficient" to give him a fresh phone.

Anyways, after all said and done, I got the spinning wheel of death. I then turned off the phone by holding down the power and home button together.

I later got into my Mac and opened up iTunes. Plugged in the iPhone and nothing was responsive obviously, so I went into "DFU" mode. It did so and asked to install 4.01 via restore. I did so and after it was downloaded, the phone attempted to install the software. The bar on the iPhone went to about 2/3rds and just HUNG there.

At this point I stopped the process (holding home/power once more to turn off the phone), dc-ed from Itunes and restarted my computer. NOW i am trying to retry the whole restore process, and everytime I do i get the error on itunes saying there was an "unknown error" code 1604 :(

Anyone know what the next step I could take here? Did i screw the 3g up very badly (bricked)? Should I try to use another computer? (Windows 7 with latest itunes installed)

The iPhone, when turned on, looks like this on the screen now:

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help, this has been taking the better part of my Sunday.