iPhone 3GS, jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 does not connect to 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by whippoorwill, Aug 8, 2012.

1. whippoorwill macrumors newbie

Hello,

This is my first post here. Greetings to all!

I have an iPhone 3GS that I purchased 2 years ago but didn't use much due to various reasons. I jailbroke ios 5.1.1 with redsn0w, and subsequently 3G stopped working proerly. When I turn it on it appears briefly but it switches back to Edge 2G. If I only leave edge 2G on, that works properly. My baseband is 5.16.05 and I believe it is new bootrom device.

I read on some websites and forums that I have to unlock it using ultrasn0w. But my baseband is not supported and I have to upgrade to ipad 6.15 baseband, they say. They say doing so may cause GPS to stop working properly. At the same time I see some places it describes ways to downgrade the bb. Why is it necessary at all?

Could you please help me? I have searched everyone and at the end am thoroughly confused esp. with this baseband thing. How can I get 3G to work? I live in India and know it works here because others are able to use it with the same carrier and even I was, prior to jailbreaking.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Kind regards.
    :D

2. Magrathea macrumors regular

ATTENTO >>>> beware .... : )

Be very careful with BB update, I fried a 3Gs that was warned about in the message that Redsn0w gives you and had to take a $100 loss on it. BUT, my 3gS, older phone, was able to use the ipad baseband BUT I did loose gps functionality. This is what I have been using for the past year or so.

BUT .... in the past month they have released an update to redsnow that will downgrade the baseband and it did work for me on 5.0.1. :)

HOWEVER I THEN upgraded to 5.1.1 and now my phone is not working at all ....

sorry for the convoluted message but just be careful, I'm not sure what I have done and for now my phone is a brick .... using an old iphone 2G in the meantime : )

So be careful and the good news is that if you fry your phone it'll be a great excuse to the the iphone 5 - if funds allow!!!