iPhone 3GS Jailbroken slow

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by itprotj, Mar 21, 2012.

1. itprotj macrumors newbie

Hey all,

Jailbroke my iPhone 3GS the other day and have been quite happy with the results so far apart from the issue which is why i'm making this forum topic.. Memory is constantly running out! I can only have a max of 1 app in the background before it starts slowing down dramatically and this was the case even before I jailbroke although it wasn't AS slow.. I have SBsettings I think it is and I'm on about 40MB free memory right now with only "Messages" and "Settings" open...

In case it helps diagnose my issues my current Cydia apps I have installed are:
    Activator
    Icon Renamer
    iFile
    PushTone
    SBSettings
    Spire
    Springtomize 2
    WiFiFoFum
    WifiSMS
    Zephyr

If anyone has any ideas or something to try I would really appreciate it, Thanks.

2. TechSpec87 macrumors newbie

I had similar issues with my jailbroken 3GS, overall the performance on a 3GS when it's jailbroken on iOS 5 is just not very good, actually on iOS 5 and not jailbroken it's still not the snappiest thing. I would recommend getting rid of Spire, I found after I removed it that helped clear up some memory and ran a little bit better, also springtomize 2 when removed helped as well. I found springtomize not to be that handy when it came to customization on most things so if you can go without it I would drop it and get winterboard for themes. Avoid dream board on the 3GS as well since it is an insane memory and battery hog. Hope that helps some! You can also check out the link in my info for iPhone Unleashed, very extensive guide with tones of great info for iPhone newbies and veterans alike. Feel free to message me any time if you have more questions and good luck with the 3GS :)

3. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

The advice above is good. On top of it though, I've also found that for some reason my 3GS runs quite a bit slower with Zephyr installed. Uninstalling that made things noticeably snappier.

4. itprotj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice guys, I've gone ahead and removed Spire, Springtomize and Zephyr.. Is there any other way to speed the device up? Overall its just sluggish loading into Phone, Messages, Settings etc. Shows a blank screen for about 10seconds whenever your try to load one of those apps.

Anywho I'm at about 100MB free now without those apps, I have tried Winterboard a couple of days ago but that was a disaster it seemed to drain every bit of memory my device had so probably can't try that again.