iPhone 3GS JB/UNLOCK

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ImTheOne, Mar 30, 2011.

1. ImTheOne macrumors member

I have been out of the know for a little while and thought the other day I had solved my issue, but turns out I just came up with more questions. I currently have an iPhone 3GS Unlocked and Jailbroken on 3.1.3 (7e18) I have baseband version 5.12.01 and I do not know how to check the bootrom if it needs to be changed.
    I was thinking the best way was going to be upgrade to a 4.2.1 custom firmware created with pwnage tool and using Tiny Umbrella as the SHSH BLOB server.
    Is there anything I am missing? I don't want to be left phoneless incase of a crash or something. I am currently using the phone with TMobile. Any other info needed just let me know. I just want to make sure I am in the clear to go ahead and do it?

2. eastercat, Mar 30, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2011

eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You've got the blobs and custom firmware. Since you're running the TU server while installing 4.2.1, you should be fine.
    Just be aware that you'll get an error message. This is because you're updating the iOS without updating the bb. Kick out of recovery with TU and you'll be fine.
    Thank you for not being a clueless loser. :)

ETA: You'll have to use one of those cydia backup programs if you have a lot of jb programs. Obviously, itunes doesn't retain info about your jb programs. You can also enter their names into text editor or write it down. I do the former whenever I install a new cydia program.
    Don't forget to enter DFU with either pwnage or redsnow first. Manual DFU won't cut it.

3. ImTheOne thread starter macrumors member

I tried to do a bit of searching before I posted a question that I am sure has been answered 1 million times. And I am very new to TinyUmbrella do I use the Fix Recovery TU or just normal TU? Thank you for your response.

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Whenever I d/l TU from the author's web site, I only get one option when I click on OS X. So I'm not sure what you're referring to. :confused:

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

He has a FAQ there, but i think you just need the normal TU, grab the shsh and have it start the tss server.

I think you have an excellent grasp of the situation for a post like this.