iPhone 3GS loose switch (with video)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fabianvs, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

It's definitely not supposed to be that loose, but it's not the biggest deal either. If it bothers you then make a genius appointment and see what they'll do. What's the worst that can happen...

2. The General macrumors 601

3. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Mines the same, kind of annoying but ehhh. Once it falls off I'll take it in. On a side note, what was that shot on? It looks very nice, great DOF.

4. plut0 macrumors newbie

5. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

@natebookpro
    Canon powershot SD850 IS

@plut0
    you think their replacements would be a new?

6. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Im thinkin it would probably be a refurb, might get lucky though since they are still fairly new.

7. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

i passed the 14 day return policy by 1 day, i can still get the replacement? and also could i be like i want the 32gb instead and pay $100 more ?

8. Chizzled macrumors member

Mine is loose enough to make an annoying rattle noise, but yours looks looser than mine. Let us know what you decide to do and what happens.

I've decided to keep mine as is because to me its flawless in every other way.

9. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

if there is nothing else wrong with your phone at this moment I would hold onto it... sure it's loose but if everything else is A-OK then why risk getting another one that can develop a more serious problem...

10. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

yeah.. im having 2nd thoughts now, there is nothing else wrong with it besides the looseness. Im thinking of just keeping to because i really do not want a refurbished phone and i risk of getting another defective phone anyway :)

so I think ill just stick with it!

11. musicman0725 macrumors member

It obviously depends on the store manager, but the 14 day return period is more of a guideline rather than a rule. I've exchanged stuff I've bought at the apple store falling slightly beyond the 14 day period (ie. 30days). If you really want a 32GB iPhone, I would recommend taking it back and telling them you want to exchange yours for the larger model. I'm positive they'll let you upgrade, after all they make an extra $100 from the exchange! If you want to stick with the 16GB model, I think they'd still let you do an exchange since you're right next to the 14 day window (just bring the box and speak with people at the register, don't schedule a genius appointment).

12. kousuke18 macrumors regular

Shouldn't be that loose. I remember my old iphone 3G had a loose ringer button and every time the phone vibrated it made an annoying rattling sound.

13. thecellar macrumors regular

iphone return policy is 30 days...

14. kousuke18 macrumors regular

They might waive the restocking fee since you are upgrading to a more expensive model, and it will also depend on the manager or supervisor of the store. I'd say just go and give it a try. You got nothing to lose.

15. musicman0725 macrumors member

The receipt from the iphone I purchased from an applestore has the return date listed 14 days after the purchase date. I believe AT&T has a 30 day return policy. Likely, with this in mind, Apple will be lenient with exchanges so that you don't feel punished for purchasing from an Apple store over AT&T because of technicalities. Also, as I stated earlier, they're pretty lenient about this in general...especially when you plan on spending more $$.

16. flurffmeister macrumors member

Given how new the 3GS is, it's pretty rare to get a refurb when you get it replaced. You will most likely get a new one in the same white box as the refurbs, which may cause some confusion, as some managers will call that a "refurb" or "service phone" anyway.

Keep in mind that refurbs from Apple are as good or better than new phones. The only part that is reused from another phone are the board and maybe the LCD, which then are surrounded by a new battery and a new case. They are always tested hardcore. I am happy to accept a refurb as a replacement even if I just bought the phone (and I very well just may have gotten one yesterday when I had mine replaced), because I know it has the distinct chance of being put through a more rigorous testing than a new one fresh out of the factory.

I would get one replaced for just such a reason as a loose switch, mainly due to the fact that if that is present this early in the ownership, it may indicate other defects in workmanship or missed steps in quality control.

17. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

Ok, so i ended up getting a replacement, it came out of those white boxes but I think its deff. new it looks perfect. The switch is alot tighter with much less looseness but still a bit. I'll stick with it! I kept the 16gb aswell don't think ill need more space for now. Great thing is that on the first one i had, my incase slider had scratched (the rails or whatever they are called were worn out from using it on 3G) the back on Day 1 so im getting more than just a fixed switch. The home button is less sticky too which I like, and hopefully I'll get better battery life than the first 3gs :D

thanks to everyone for replying and thanks to :apple: :)

18. Chizzled macrumors member

Glad to hear they gave you a replacement. I may do the same, but I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to the nearest Apple. Mine is a bit loose, but not as bad as your original. You say your new one is tighter than the first but still a bit loose. Does it still rattle a bit when its on a hard surface or when you shake it? Just curious if your replacement is much better than what I have now. I really don't want to replace this phone.

Thanks

19. fabianvs thread starter macrumors regular

fabianvs

Yup it still rattles when you shake it, and its still loose but not like in the video. I hardly ever put it on silent, it's fine though, i'll keep it! seems like my battery is better too :)

20. flurffmeister macrumors member

It always will, even if it is actually a refurbished phone, because of the strict refurb process at Apple. It basically becomes a new phone, with a new battery, new case (glass, chrome, back), and new LCD and/or board if either the LCD or board were originally bad. Then they test it to make sure it works up to their standards. Every refurbished Apple product is precisely on par with a new one. You aren't ever going to get a phone taken directly from somebody's exchange, merely wiped down with a cloth and restored. It goes to a factory to be reworked before it is put back into circulation.

21. jacobgaul macrumors regular

i have same issue just not as bad, it hasnt been 30 days yet go get a NEW one before you end up with a service unit down the road.

22. flurffmeister macrumors member

Because apparently nobody gets that Apple refurb stuff is just as good as Apple new stuff.

23. Chizzled macrumors member

Alright, good to know. I am keeping the one I have. I hate being OCD. Now I can let this issue rest.

Thanks for everybody's help here as well!

24. ajj06830 macrumors newbie

Mine had this problem, and I brought it in 2 days ago and the genius exchanged it no problem. It didn't really bug me too much, but I accidently dropped my phone on the driveway the night before, and scratched up the back and the camera lens, and I was looking for ANY POSSIBLE thing to return it for. This new phone is pristine!