iPhone 3GS losing wi-fi issue

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kena1921, Jan 11, 2010.

1. kena1921 macrumors newbie

Hi

My iPhone 3GS keeps encountering a problem with it's Wi-Fi connection.

I have wi-fi at home which works without problem. The iPhone also picks this up & when connected works well. However it constantly loses the connection particularly if I don't use the phone for even a few minutes. Everytime it asks to me for the password which I often have to enter many times before I get the connection back. This can happen in any part of the house even when close to the router.

If I go into settings it finds the wif-fi OK and shows a good signal.

Does anyone know why this might be happening? Also is there anyway of saving the password so it doesn't have to be constantly re-entered.

Any help gratefully received

Ken

2. Galarina macrumors member

Galarina

In case you have Bluetooth active too, turn it off and try again.
    There is a known issue when you have both Bluetooth and WiFi active at the same time. They use the same antenna to send/receive signals and some kind of interference causes the WiFi connection to become unstable.

3. kena1921 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. qnc macrumors member

I'm having the same issue as well. Wifi will connect, but if i let iPhone turn off while I'm doing something else it will not reconnect.
    I get the wifi bars but internet will not work.
    I have tried the static ip trick and it still will not work.
    The only thing that I can do is turn wifi off and back on to get it to work.

iPhone 3GS on 4.1 firmware

5. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Have you tried resetting your network settings in the phone? Settings, general, reset, reset network network settings. This has been know to fix various wifi problems.

6. John Benitez macrumors member

First I agree with “Galarina” that may be you open your Bluetooth too because it creates problems to use Wi-Fi. If you have not opened the Bluetooth, so here is the method to fix this problem:
    Go to “Setting” then “General” after this “Reset” and “Reset the Network Setting”.
    This will clean all your Wi-Fi settings when you restart the phone. When it starts again you can check the Wi-Fi I’m sure your problem will be solved.

7. qnc macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, but I have tried resetting network settings rebooting and even resetting all settings. Still same issue.

Funny though it appears to work on unsecured networks with no issues, just secured networks I'm having issue with.

I have even tried the static IP trick that was floating around on the internet before, still no luck.