iPhone 3GS - Mail, using Gmail but confused on how to set-up?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hamzab, Oct 29, 2009.

1. hamzab macrumors 6502

Hi all,

Before I get lambasted with all the "Use google" chat, I have, I have seen 2/3different ways of setting up mail on the iPhone and am confused on what one to use, there are options for IMAP, POP, the GMAIL maill thing on the Mail button and have even been advised to use Microsoft exchange:confused:

I would like to use it to push email to my iPhone instead of fetching it.

Thank you

HamzaB:apple:

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You don't have any other e-mail accounts set up, right?

I ask because you can only set up 1 Exchange account on the phone. (You could have multiple IMAP or POP accounts.)

Assuming you're not using one already, set up gmail as Exchange.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

It can sync mail, calendars, and contacts with Google. Or, you can turn off what you don't want.

For example, I use Gmail exchange to sync mail, but not calendars and contacts. I use MobileMe to sync those with my Mac, but I have the MobileMe mail turned off.

You don't have to get everything the same way if you don't want to.

3. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Deleted all other accounts, set this gmail one up using Microsoft Exchange, everything working well, Push very responsive however it is not saving sent mail on the iPhone, I.E. I send an email, go to the sent folder to find it's empty?

4. vhl71 macrumors regular

I just solved this problem - driving me nuts over the last couple of weeks
    Even Apple tech support couldn't help me..figured out myself

Access your Gmail via the web interface on your pc. Go to Settings-->Labels and delete Sent Items label. (It doesn't delete your msgs - just the label)

All your sent email are still stored in Sent Mail folder.

Remove your account on your iphone and add it again now.

Everything should work like a charm!!

5. hamzab thread starter macrumors 6502

Dude, if this works, when I next come to the USA next year (that's if your in the US) I'm buying you a beer!

6. forumz macrumors newbie

Sorry to bump an old thread, but does anyone know why I'm not allowed to use gMail as an Exchange Service? See attachment, It's grey'd out. Anyone know a solution?
    [​IMG]