iPhone 3GS Memory Issue amongst other things!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dc4416, Jul 1, 2011.

1. dc4416 macrumors newbie

Hi all

Thank you for taking the time to look, I hope I can trouble you for an answer to my woes!

I just bought a jailbroken, unlocked iPhone 3GS, it is a 32GB model on the 05.14.02 baseband and with the 4.1 iOS. There are a couple of things that I am confused about, however. I would be grateful if someone on here could shine some light on the issues.

I checked the model number in the About section of the phone to make sure it was a 3GS, it showed MB715LL which settled me slightly as I had seen that number posted in a forum post relating to this very subject. However, the phone does not have a compass or does it perform video capture. Uh oh.

Another issue, in the about section of the phone it says there is 31.7GB remaining, however when I plug it into iTunes, the bar on the summary page tells me that there is something like 6.6GB remaining memory.

I have also dragged onto the device a number of songs and photos and installed several apps, but in the About there are zeros next to the song, photo and app count.

Have I been had? Can anyone offer any clarification?

Kind Regards
    Dan

2. RodThePlod, Jul 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011

RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Hi Dan,

I have an iPhone 3G and a 3GS in front of me. The 3G has model number MB489B and the 3GS has model number MC132B...

On the App store, there are a number of apps that will only work on the 3GS and not the 3G. Try downloading one of those onto the phone and see what happens. For example, if you try to install the FREE version of Layar Reality Browser do you get a message like this:

This App is incompatible with this iPhone because it requires a video camera and compass.

If you do, then it looks like you've been sold a 3G and not a 3GS.

You could also probably check the serial number with Apple.

Cheers,

RTP.

3. dc4416 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the response RTR, I tried installing the app you suggested and as expected, it told me that the app was not compatible with my phone. I did some more searching and stumbled upon an article about an app called Winterboard, basically a way to mask the iPhone as something it isn't. The guy must have bought a new back that stated it was a 32GB 3GS, and used winterboard to manipulate the information in the about section, which is why when i dragged music and pictures onto the device it told me there was still nothing on the device, as the override stated that these fields should read 0.

I feel cheated and am so mad that I hadn't looked into this before I parted with my money.

This is just a heads up to everyone else that may not be aware of this method, you can hide the winterboard icon too, so it wasn't on the device homepage for me to see and investigate.

Very frustrating to have paid what I paid for a 8GB iPhone 3G.

We live and learn.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Just a reminder, the 3G and 3Gs both have MB and MC model numbers. This was a big issue when the 3Gs came out. My launch day 3Gs is a MB model, yes it really is a 3Gs. What does iTunes say your iPhone is?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I'd never buy a jailbroken iOS device. It's like buying a bag of hurt as who knows what crap was installed by the previous owner.

Curious where did you buy it?

6. jekyoo macrumors 6502

The easiest way to determine if it is a 3GS or a 3G is the compass app. Only the 3GS and the iPhone 4 have a magnetometer

Sucks that you've been duped but I feel like it's super easy to tell if a phone is a 3G or 3GS just by using the phone. The 3G is sluggish on iOS 4.

7. dc4416 thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought it from someone that listed it on Craigslist, I met the guy in person, he seemed legit and trustworthy (don't all scumbags?) I had only ever used an iPhone 3G, so noting the sluggishness would have been nothing new to me, unfortunately.

I wanted to use a T-Mobile SIM hence why I went for the jailbroken/unlocked phone. But I shall never fall into that trap again.

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.