iPhone 3Gs mute switch problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by awadeee, Mar 17, 2011.

1. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I have an iPhone 3gs that, when in silent mode, will switch in and out of it without me even using the switch. I've also discovered that if I press slightly on the top left of my screen, the phone will also go in and out of mute mode. This is inconvenient considering my phone is almost constantly vibrating... Any insight would be appreciated!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are you still under Applecare warranty?
    Its a hardware fault and probably needs to be replaced.

3. awadeee thread starter macrumors 68020

awadeee

Nah, I bought it used just for the sake of having a second iPhone. It's a white one and I replaced the black digitizer with a white one so one look at it and Apple would know I tampered with it, even if it were under any kind of warranty. The mute thing has nothing to do with me replacing any parts though because it started happening back when I had a black screen. Last time this happened I just disassembled the phone completely, tightened all the screws and it stopped for a while but unfortunately the annoyance has come back. :/

4. baharharre, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

baharharre macrumors newbie

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You could send it in to a 3rd party iPhone repair shop to replace or fix the switch for ya.

6. awadeee thread starter macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah, I figured it was a hardware issue but I was wondering which exact part it would be? The mute switch itself or something else? I'm more than competent enough to replace the part, but I just need to know which one it is.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

I just came here to post a thread, but saw this one.

My first generation iPhone that I use as an iPod sometimes does this very thing!

Really no easy fix? What a shame, year just pushing on the phone anywhere, makes mine go in and out.

You know what we could try? Our batteries are probably getting pretty old too. You can pay the $75 at Apple support website plus shipping for battery replacement.

Wouldn't battery replacement likely replace the entire unit?

Of course, $90 might be more than you want to spend with shipping, and then if they think the mute issue is serious, might deny battery service.