iphone 3gs newer baseband 4.2.1 stalls during recovery HELP!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrbrettcc, Jan 9, 2011.

1. mrbrettcc macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I'm stuck. Friday night I replaced my battery and attempted to boot up the phone. I forgot to use redsn0w to boot back up and ended up trying to restore with the apple firmware through itunes. Didn't work.

Then realized my mistake and ran redsn0w (0.9.7b4). Tried the iterations of following:

1) 4.2.1 apple restore ispw (after booting DFU). -hangs during restore with progress bar a little more than half way.
    2) 4.2.1 custom restore ispw (after booting DFU) -hangs during restore with progress bar ALMOST to the end (so close).
    3) install ipad baseband through redsn0w. -hangs with pinapple screen during "activating"

I tried to find different versions of the custom restore but they all hang at the same place.

How can I get the phone to restore! Aughhh!!!

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

do you have wi-fi sync installed? if so remove it and try it again...

If you updated to the iPad BB then you can never restore to official :apple: fw, it has to always be a custom fw for you from now on...

3. mrbrettcc thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have wi-fi sync installed! Never thought of that. I'll try again and see what happens.

4. mrbrettcc thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I tried installing the custom 4.2.1 ispw and it gave me an error code of 1611. That's progress! I never got to that point before. Perhaps the ipad version IS on my phone...

5. mrbrettcc thread starter macrumors newbie

looked up the error code and tried to fix by going into terminal and typing in sudo nano /etc/hosts. however, the gs.apple.com line is not in the list.

anyone know of this problem?

6. mrbrettcc thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it to work after I re-installed itunes and removing wi-fi sync. WHOO HOO!

Thanks!!!!