iPhone 3GS + Nike+ iPod + Motorola S9HD = NICE!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by EatMyApple, Jul 1, 2009.

1. EatMyApple macrumors 6502

I had the original Motorola S9 bluetooth headseat (red/black in color) and used an adapter to connect it to my iPod Touch. I wasn't really pleased with it but it worked (most the time) and was better than regular headphones. I was content.

After shopping around and reading reviews, I decided to bite the bullet again and pick up the new Motorola S9 HD bluetooth headset. This time I wanted to use it for my iPhone 3GS and Nike+.

After doing the initial charge for 2 hours right after the box, I sync'd it to the 3GS flawlessly and the playing begun. I first used the iPod and listened to some music - different genres for different sounds, ect. At first I was bummed cause I heard a 'fuzz' and thought I was back to the original S9. Then realized the volume was maxed out, turned it down, and relistened.

HOLY CRAP!!

The sound of the new Motorola S9 is very, very impressive. I was completely shocked at the clarity and full range of sound. Even Petey Pablo sounded amazing with some nice bump to it! Tiesto and DJ Felli Fel - NICE!

OK, OK, I thought. Now, let's try a phone call. Called my girlfriend to test it out and she said could hear me clearly like a normal non-BT phonecall. Huh! About time! - Motorola finally got it figured out.

So far I am 100% satisfied with the purchase and would buy them again. I recommend them to anyone looking for some BT headphones. They even look sexy in all black now.

Per the package, now I just need some neck tats and I am ready to go! :D

Works great with the Nike+ app also - Thank you Motorola!

________

Now does anyone recommend a good arm-wrap case for running? Thank you!

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

I'm interested in the S9HD as well, except for one thing. When I run, I usually am wearing a pair of Oakley Square Wire 2.0's ... How does the S9HD work with sunglasses?

3. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

The S9 HD works perfectly with my Oakley Flak Jackets. They sit about 1cm above the S9 loop around the ear. So having the Wires should allow you even more room.

4. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

It works with the Plantronics Voyager 855s as well. Only there is a bug right now that hopefully will be fixed in 3.1 with bluetooth voice commands enabled. if you use a BT headset that also works with the phone part, you can get a skipping sound similar to a skipping CD as there is a conflict with something to do with the voice controls. Not a game-breaker but annoying when using Nike+ right now.

5. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS (White, 32GB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C97d Safari/528.16)

Cool; thanks for the quick reply! I guess I'll be ordering some from the States (they retail for about $180+ over here) ... Thanks again!!

6. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

No problem! Check out eBay - found some for $50-60 shipped. Shipping might be more for you though but still prob cheaper than $180.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Yup, that was my plan. I just wanna find someone selling retail, boxed - most of those BT power sellers are selling OEM or open box gear.

8. Xanderprime macrumors member

I bought the S9 HDs a week ago and found that the sound was cutting in and out when I used them outside on my bike. It was so bad that I returned them. In checking Google about the problem, others had reported the same issue.

9. ASTMedic macrumors newbie

Where do you keep the phone while riding?? I bought the Backbeat from Altec and used them for the first time today. I have been using the Cardo S2 but wanted something slimmer for running. The Cardo had great reception in my pack on my waist but the Backbeat is hit and miss. I notice it when I move my head and it blocks the signal.

10. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh geez! Fingers crossed!

11. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

i have the s9-hds there great except for the fact that the music skips alot on the iphone 3g
    i have the black ones though i wish i got the white ones to match my iphone o well

12. njl macrumors regular

this thread has WIN written all over it.. i just returned my Jaybirds because:

they kept falling off when i ran
    was even worst while wearing my oakley half jacket xjl's
    couldn't keep a strong signal from my iphone or touch when running

i have heard about the s9's but wanted some opinions.. i need some bt's that will match with my touch/nike+, oakleys and my ears..

13. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm guessing WIN means 'What I needed'.....

14. njl macrumors regular

15. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the heads up! I plan to upgrade to the iPhone 3Gs at the end of the summer... but for now I have an iPhone 3G. Does the built in controls on the actual headphones work? (like volume, next track, etc?)

Lastly, how does it hold up to sweat? I mean, when working out, does the headphones feel "durable/high quality" enough to withstand these elements?

Also, if you don't mind, since you had both the S9 and S9 HD, which one do you like better?

Right now on Amazon.com the S9 is $39.99 while the S9 HD is around 70 to 80 bucks. Is the price difference worth it to buy the HD?

16. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I have the 3GS, and the S9 HD, I got my s9 HD for 39$ too :)

17. mbsaeger macrumors 6502

mbsaeger

I also had the S9 and the S9HD, the S9 was horrible (dropouts, choppy, etc) The S9HD is amazing. If you buy the S9, then call motorola and complain, they will send u the s9HD.. for free, just send your s9 back afterwords. (complain about dropouts, they will say I can replace that with an s9HD)

18. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, all the controls work.

My S9's held up to sweat just fine and I'm sure the S9HD's will be the exact same. I just got the HD's tonight so I only have used them once so far.

S9HD by far - def work the extra $$.

19. inf macrumors 6502

inf

Any other places to get these than from ebay & US?

Does someone know any places f.ex in UK which sells these and who ships them to internationally?

20. Xanderprime macrumors member

I had the phone in multiple places when I rode. Initially had it in a frame pouch on the bike, then in a side pocket on my leg, and then in my back pocket. I found that keeping it in the frame pouch had the least sound dropouts, but it was still too unacceptable. It seems if line of sight is blocked by my body the sound will cut out.

The other issue that I had with the s9 HDs is you cannot lay your head back due to the design. I wanted Bluetooth headphones that can be used in all situations, not just for working out/riding, but also just for chilling out.

21. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Are you sure? I thought the Next/Previous track button doesn't work on ANY bluetooth device. Apple hasn't allowed this feature yet.

Also, are these covered under warranty no matter where you buy them from as long as they are brand new? I know some people have problems with them right out of the box and others work great. I don't want to drop $60+ on a set of these and have them not work and be SOL. Where did you guys buy them from and have luck returning them?

22. scottuf macrumors 6502

i have them. next/previous does NOT work with 3GS. doesn't seem like apple enabled AVRCP Category 3, just 1&2 (vol, play, pause).

23. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, your right! The Next/Prev doesn't work. I never tried them on the S9HD but they did work with my Touch on my original S9. I only used the Play/Pause yesterday so I just assumed everything worked. My apologies on the bad info!

24. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yeah it worked with the Touch or any iPod when you use the bluetooth adapter, but it doesn't work with any iPhone or Touch if you use the built in bluetooth.

25. EatMyApple thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea that makes sense now lol. Man!!!....my S9 excitement went down a notch.