Iphone 3GS no sound at all

Akala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Iphone 3GS on 6.1.3
Looks like it has been dropped but only minor superficial damage,
I cannot get any sound at all out of the phone, from either the phone speaker headphones or when docked on a speaker.
I've cleaned the dock and audio jack as well as restored it,
any ideas whats wrong??

Akala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Is it likely to be a motherboard fault or would replacing the speaker, the dock and the audio jack be a good start??

BrianBaughn

macrumors 604
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've forgotten if the stock iOS 6 has a mute indicator on the status bar...I'm thinking not. If it does please disregard the suggestion below.

My well-worn 3GS mute switch is unreliable. Could be that yours is completely broken and you're stuck in mute.

Here's a video about a bad mute switch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUHmJIZBcME

I'd say jailbreak the iPhone and add a toggle for mute (NCSettings or SBSettings) to see if that gets your sound working. That's what I have to use to switch mine off and on.

Akala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2014
United Kingdom
It could get expensive if you keep guessing and buying parts you might not need.
I'd bring it to a place to have it checked out. They will be able to tell u for sure what it needs.
Should any phone store be able to do it or would i be best of taking to an apple store?
thanks

Sceptre

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2013
Iphone 3GS on 6.1.3
Looks like it has been dropped but only minor superficial damage,
I cannot get any sound at all out of the phone, from either the phone speaker headphones or when docked on a speaker.
I've cleaned the dock and audio jack as well as restored it,
any ideas whats wrong??

Have you tried to listen to another phone, (just to rule out it's not you)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.