Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
I am buying this iphone from a guy who has iphone 3gs 3.1.3 (5.12 baseband) and his serial number starts with MC935 (released in week 35???)Does that mean this is the old bootrom and can be downgraded and/or jailbroken? I have an AT&T connection, so I dont care about unlocking it.... Just need jailbroken apps and tweaks. I gotta get back to him ASAP.... so if someone can gimme a reply, it's highly appreciated

[PS i knw the sn0wbreeze tool v1.4 and 1.5)apparently jailbreaks 3.1.3 with old bootroms... Can I take my chance???

This other guy is selling his phone whose serial number starts with 87002.... Does that make sense??? (NOn MC Model???)... can this be jailbroken/unlocked/downgraded?

Which one should I buy?

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks mate....

But i did see the article about sn0wbreeze that a lotta people have used to jailbreak their 3.1.3 old bootroms and non mc models.... any authenticity to sn0wbreeze???

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Oh Ok..... thanks again... I think I am gonna steer clear of these in that case

Appreciate the responses...

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
But just out of curiosity, if I go back to the AT&T store to buy a new iphone, what are the chances of the new phone being shipped with 3.1.3? I mean do you think, I can take a chance and buy a new phone from AT&T and hope it is on 3.1.2........... Have they started selling phones with 3.1.3 on them already?

Even if it is on 3.1.2 I am afraid it will do the upgrade, the first time i plug it into itunes or the AT&T sales guy will do it. To override this, the first time I fire up the phone, can I do a custom restore to the 3.1.2 ipsw stored on my hard drive???

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
But just out of curiosity, if I go back to the AT&T store to buy a new iphone, what are the chances of the new phone being shipped with 3.1.3? I mean do you think, I can take a chance and buy a new phone from AT&T and hope it is on 3.1.2........... Have they started selling phones with 3.1.3 on them already?

Even if it is on 3.1.2 I am afraid it will do the upgrade, the first time i plug it into itunes or the AT&T sales guy will do it. To override this, the first time I fire up the phone, can I do a custom restore to the 3.1.2 ipsw stored on my hard drive???

Unless you know someone at the Apple or AT&T store who put some back, likely a zero chance.

Might try a Best Buy or get a refurb.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, either a best buy or walmart or something.
People have been getting 3.1.3 firmware latelly so odds are not good.
And at the store they will not go thru the update process, they just plug it to itunes and activate it only.

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Thanks for all the responses people... u guys really have been of great help.

I am meeting up with a guy who has a day old iphone on 3.1.2 and if everything is alright, I may buy from him rather than the AT&T store or best buy and so on....
now my question is........ I understand that older bootroms (359.3) can have an untethered jailbreak and newer ones (359.3.2), tethered... What are the tools that are out there that help have an untethered JB? (as in Ultrasn0w, redsn0w...etc.....)
Is blackra1n the only tool for 3gs 3.1.2 tethered jailbreaking?

Which one should i use??? (ofcourse depending on the bootrom its gonna have)

I used blackra1n the last time i jailbroke my 3gs (before the disastrous upgrade) and i know its the easiest and quickest.... But just wondering what else is out there. Coz I dont want anything to go wrong this time... i wanna jailbreak and the first thing i wanna do is save my shsh on cydia... :) Just want a hassle free, quick and easy jailbreak..

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Thanks for all the responses people... u guys really have been of great help.

I am meeting up with a guy who has a day old iphone on 3.1.2 and if everything is alright, I may buy from him rather than the AT&T store or best buy and so on....
now my question is........ I understand that older bootroms (359.3) can have an untethered jailbreak and newer ones (359.3.2), tethered... What are the tools that are out there that help have an untethered JB? (as in Ultrasn0w, redsn0w...etc.....)
Is blackra1n the only tool for 3gs 3.1.2 tethered jailbreaking?

Which one should i use??? (ofcourse depending on the bootrom its gonna have)

I used blackra1n the last time i jailbroke my 3gs (before the disastrous upgrade) and i know its the easiest and quickest.... But just wondering what else is out there. Coz I dont want anything to go wrong this time... i wanna jailbreak and the first thing i wanna do is save my shsh on cydia... :) Just want a hassle free, quick and easy jailbreak..

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/857521/

And you cannot save your 3.1.2 SHSH any longer even if you are jailbroken on that firmware version, but you can save 3.1.3 so do go to Cydia and save that version

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Oh Mother of everything that is good and holy!!! I AM BACK on 3.1.2 on a brand new iphone 3gs.... Just jailbroke it and got all my apps and tweaks back..... JESUS CHRIST!!!

:D Pardon my outburst of silly emotional excitement but thats how much i was cursing myself for updating my old fone... :D

I just did save the SHSH on Cydia and noticed that it said 3.1.3........ So how is this going to work? Does this mean that whatever happens(god forbid) I will not be able to downgrade back to 3.1.2??? or i can custom restore it to 3.1.3 and then jailbreak it again?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Oh Mother of everything that is good and holy!!! I AM BACK on 3.1.2 on a brand new iphone 3gs.... Just jailbroke it and got all my apps and tweaks back..... JESUS CHRIST!!!

:D Pardon my outburst of silly emotional excitement but thats how much i was cursing myself for updating my old fone... :D

I just did save the SHSH on Cydia and noticed that it said 3.1.3........ So how is this going to work? Does this mean that whatever happens(god forbid) I will not be able to downgrade back to 3.1.2??? or i can custom restore it to 3.1.3 and then jailbreak it again?

You're not very good at reading posts are you. Look one post above your question, I already explained this.

nikhilnagaraj24

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
You're not very good at reading posts are you. Look one post above your question, I already explained this.

Well in response to your statement here that I cannot save my 3.1.2 SHSH any longer, I replied that "yes i noticed that, it said SHSH was on file for 3.1.3".... So I think I can read posts better than you think I can, Mr. dhlizard.....

Lemme break it down and help you understand MY POST better.

My question was "what does it mean when you say I cannot save the 3.1.2 SHSH any more?" Does that mean I will not be able to downgrade, if I, for whatever reasons, upgrade to 3.1.3? Or does it mean that I can jailbreak if I upgrade to 3.1.3 because i have the SHSH saved for 3.1.3?"

Hope my question is clearer now..... :)

pixelated

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2008
Well in response to your statement here that I cannot save my 3.1.2 SHSH any longer, I replied that "yes i noticed that, it said SHSH was on file for 3.1.3".... So I think I can read posts better than you think I can, Mr. dhlizard.....
LOL, dont be so angry, your questions have been answered, but for clarity;

My question was "what does it mean when you say I cannot save the 3.1.2 SHSH any more?"
It means you cannot save your SHSH for 3.1.2 anymore.

Does that mean I will not be able to downgrade, if I, for whatever reasons, upgrade to 3.1.3?
Yes

Or does it mean that I can jailbreak if I upgrade to 3.1.3 because i have the SHSH saved for 3.1.3?"
No

Hope those answers were clear enough now...:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.