iPhone 3Gs not connecting with itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Afiestypisces, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Afiestypisces macrumors newbie

I just got a new phone from apple because the buttons to my previous one had stopped working. I backed up my old phone before I made the switch. Now that I tried syncing my new one to restore all of my info, I can't. I plug the phone into my laptop and it does not show up in iTunes. The USB cable works because my comp detects the device when it is plugged in. I've upgraded to the latest version of iTunes and still it does not work. Can anyone help me? I really need to recover all of my previous phones info! Thanks!

2. Adamine macrumors newbie

Since itunes is not recognizing it, try putting the iphone in DFU mode.

With your iphone plugged in press and hold the power button for a count of two seconds. Continue holding the power button AND (after the two seconds) home button as well. Continue holding both the home+power button for 7 seconds. After 7 seconds, release the power button. (Continue holding the home button for 15 seconds.

Timing has to be pretty precise, but itunes will pop up and give you a confirmation if done successfully.

Once in recovery mode, perform a restore (and update)

After restoring, try "restoring from backup"

Try this, and then let me know.