iPhone 3GS not turning on

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Airtoy, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Airtoy macrumors newbie

Hey people,

For the past few weeks, my iPhone has been turning off by itself randomly whilst being in my pocket doing my every day things. I would have to keep turning it back on either by powering it normally or having to hard-reset it.

But only about two days ago it happened - only this time I couldn't turn it back on. It really frustrated me because every attempt I gave to turn it on wouldn't work.

Today I found out that it CAN turn on, and this was by squeezing the screen in a bit all over.
    I haven't gotten past the Apple logo yet, because a small squeeze on the phone causes it to switch off instantly!

I'm wondering if this is either an LCD problem or, if comes to worst, the logic board has given in.
    August will be 2 years for this phone, but I'm already having withdrawal symptoms not being able to use it! :p
    If anyone has an idea, please let me know.

Thanks heaps,
    Airtoy.

2. Airtoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I couldn't follow what you meant by 2?

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Sounds like a possible dry joint somewhere around the power switch. Your only real alternatives are to take it in to Apple and let 'em fix/replace it for you for a cost (unless you have Applecare, of course, in which case it'll be free) - or get a new phone.

4. Airtoy, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

Airtoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I had a thought it could have been my power switch because the plastic between the bezel and the button has broken and just sits there.
    Buuuut, only just moments ago I tried to DFU it and the logo came on - such a relieving feeling it was especially due to the fact that it got onto the lock screen, but then died again.
    Right after that I tried turning it on again a few more times, it seems the pressure I applied ontop of the screen while turning it on was the only hope of keeping the phone on?

I have a bad feeling it may be the logic board, and I pray not!
    My phone is now far out of warranty and I would have to pay a decent amount to repair it I suppose, but gah I just hope there's some DIY solution that could pop up! :(

EDIT:
    Put it in the freezer for about 8 hours today. Took it out, plugged it into a power source straight away regardless of the condensation about to happen, and it turns on!
    It's been on for 30 minutes so far, so happy about this but I'm still a bit cautious!

5. Airtoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I have some more gathered information on this.

I managed to use the phone for the whole day today, thankfully!
    Until about Evening, when it decided to start playing up again.

One more thing I found out, is that if I plug it into different USB ports on my computer, there are pretty high chances of the Apple Logo loading up but only for a few seconds.
    No signs of life when I plug it into a wall adapter?