iPhone 3GS now or wait for the possibly "Cheaper" iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ablinn, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ablinn macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'm thinking about purchasing a cheap iPhone 3GS, well it comes free with a two year contract.
    But there's been a lot of fuzzing about a new cheaper iPhone 4?
    Would it be worth to get the iPhone 3GS now or should i wait for the cheaper iPhone 4, if its rumors are true?

//Albin

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I would wait until the new iPhone is released and then get a reduced cost iPhone 4 if you don't want to pay for the newest thing. This way you'll have a phone that is capable of handling any new iOS version for probably at least the next two years.

3. Ablinn thread starter macrumors newbie

That's true, however I've also heard rumors concerning that there won't even be a new iPhone release this year. Which makes me want to get the 3GS now. lol :)

4. SandboxGeneral, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you pay attention to MR news stories, the next iPhone rumors are flying fast and bits of evidence are popping out almost everyday now.

I am confident that there will be a new one in the next 30-45 days.

I'm still on a 3GS myself and have had it since launch day 2009. I'm waiting on the next iPhone to be released so I can scoop it up.

5. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

lol, think about this logically. Do you really think that there won't be an iPhone released this year?

Apple has just staggered the releases of the iPad and iPhone, because they were eating each others profits. Now the iPad will be released in Spring, and iPhone in Fall.

So if you want to be smart about it, then wait.

6. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Dont take this wrong but I think youre kidding yourself on the OS statement bro. The 3GS and the 4 have the exact same internal chips. The same processor. The same GPU. The 4 is clocked 200mhz faster, but most of that gets chewed up helping the GPU draw the retina display. Any update the 4 gets, the 3GS can handle. Thats why even if the 4S is only a processor bump, to dual core a5, it'll be a huge upgrade over the 4. The 4 is riding on 2008 tech.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Don't forget the 4 has double the RAM than the 3GS has, which will make a bigger performance impact than the CPU, especially as the OS and apps get more detailed or RAM hungry.

9. kre62 macrumors 68000

Its a fair point for sure, and worth mentioning. I just think that fluidity and processing speed will be more important. We'll see what happens.

10. jrtaylor6 macrumors member

jrtaylor6

Wait till the iPhone 4 is cheaper you will be much happier in the long run.

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

Wait till November, it isn't far away. If nothing, get the 3GS or get the Verizon iPhone 4 for $49.99.

12. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01