Iphone 3GS now, or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gaogier, Nov 26, 2009.


Should I upgrade my Iphone now or wait (I would like the white Iphone)?

  1. Wait till apple release the next Iphone

    75 vote(s)
  2. Get the upgraded ASAP, its so worth it.

    53 vote(s)
  1. Gaogier macrumors regular

    Aug 19, 2008

    I am looking to upgrade to the Iphone 3GS... (I want the white Iphone)

    Xmas day, I am allowed to upgrade officially.

    Should I wait on getting the Iphone 3GS or wait until June to see if apple have the new 4G (4th generation)?

    My sister has a 3G Iphone, but wants to get a blackberry due to too many people having the Iphone... She dose not use many apps if any, I personally think she should stay with the Iphone, but what are your opinions?
  2. jmann macrumors 604


    Dec 8, 2007
    bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    If you need it now, then buy it. It is an awesome phone. But if you can wait, then I totally would, because the next phone is probably going to be awesome. :D
  3. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 19, 2008
    I have the Black Iphone 3G - Has a cracked case, the back is coming unglued... has been like that since I got it though...
  4. jmann macrumors 604


    Dec 8, 2007
    bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Other than that is it working okay? I have a black iPhone 3G currently and I am out of contract with T-Mobile and am waiting for the new iPhone to port over to AT&T. I am super excited. :D
  5. Gaogier thread starter macrumors regular

    Aug 19, 2008
    Yeah, I love my phone, as long as I charge it every night...

    I am from the UK, and I would like to go with Vodafone over o2.
  6. nfl46 macrumors 604

    Oct 5, 2008
    Get it now. The new iPhone probably won't be out until 7 or 8 months. Thats a long time.
  7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Why do people care if lots people have the same cellphone? Does it make a difference? If alot of people are buying then it must be good or else noone would. Its a phone not a rare sports car.
    I say go for it, why wait another 7 or more months? Theres always new tech products comming out, if you sit there and wait forever you wont get to enjoy anything.
  8. sushi Moderator emeritus


    Jul 19, 2002
    The 3GS is a nice improvement over the 3G, no doubt about that.

    Expect the new iPhone to be out next summer if Apple continues as they have in the past.

    Will the new iPhone be worth waiting 6 months (as of when you can upgrade)?

    I would suggest that you get what you need now. If it is merely a want, then you will have to consider that you may want the new iPhone more than you want the iPhone 3GS.

    Hope that makes sense.

    In my case, I would go for the 3GS now (well December in your case).
  9. fishstacks macrumors member

    Aug 13, 2009
    Wait, the new phones are always infinitely better.
  10. gjw4u macrumors 6502

    Dec 2, 2008
    If your old phone still works, I would wait for the next iPhone. If not, get the 3GS now, the 3GS is still a super phone. I'm keeping my 3G until the 4th generation iPhone comes out.
  11. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Sep 12, 2009
    Wait. This question will return every year. If you wait until june, than you can upgrade every time around the same time a new iPhone comes out.

    On the otherhand, there are still a minimum of 6 more months to go and that's a pretty long time. If you didn't have an iPhone already, THAN I would say "get one now" but as you already have an iPhone I recommend waiting.
  12. The Phazer macrumors 68030

    Oct 31, 2007
    London, UK
    I would wait at this point unless you were able to wrangle some good deal in terms of upgrade price.

  13. bender o macrumors 6502

    bender o

    Mar 14, 2009
    That's what I'm doing :) No such big difference between 3G and 3GS I think, I'd rather wait for the new one :p
  14. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Sep 12, 2009
    Okay, great :) Oh, I must also say that you also miss out on a lot of things with the 3G (if you compare it to the 3Gs). It's maybe not a super update, but if you once had the 3Gs, than you don't want to go back to the 3G. I think I should mention that as well.
  15. fedup flyer macrumors regular

    Jan 18, 2008
    I don't think the 3Gs is worth upgrading from the 3g. Yeah its faster but that is about it and not that compelling. Wait if you can.
  16. nfl46 macrumors 604

    Oct 5, 2008
    Sigh, and when the 4G iPhone comes out next year, people will say, "Oh, wait for the 4GS (or whatever) it'll be called because it'll be better than the previous one!" Get the 3GS now and take advantage of the extras it offers over the 3G. That extra speed could save your life one day. :)
  17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Sep 12, 2009
    I voted for wait, and not because of what you are saying. He can now upgrade in het middle of the iPhone-cycle. That's just not nice. Every time he wants to upgrade, he gets the same problem.

    If he now waits a few more months:
    1) He will have a newer iPhone
    2) He won't have this problem anymore, if he can upgrade in one or two years again. Than he doesn't have the question "Should I wait, or not?" because the new iPhone is just being released. Now it's really in the middle of, like I said, the 'iPhone-cycle'.
  18. renewed macrumors 68040


    Mar 24, 2009
    Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
    +1. The other thing is he will have 7 months with this phone, as opposed to a year at least with the next before the new one even comes out... the other thing is he will be able to get it at the upgrade price, instead of the 3GS now and then if the next one is able to clean your house, and he wants that, having to pay the early upgrade price...
  19. greygray macrumors 68000


    Oct 22, 2009
    Buy a 3GS now. Wait till next year, sell your 3GS and get the new iPhone. It's a cycle.
  20. uncleSmurf macrumors regular


    Jan 19, 2008
    If you want an iphone go ahead and get one, regardless wether you wait or buy now there is going to be a new phone every year so it's pointless to really obsess over it.
  21. ukcolinr macrumors regular

    May 12, 2009
    Here's a suggestion thats not been mentioned that I can see.

    Why don't you upgrade to the 3GS now on an 18month contract (pay a little more for the handset), that contract will then expire roughly the same time as the 5th Gen iPhone will probably be released (if Apple stick to a similar release pattern which they seem to do)

    Just an idea I thought I'd throw out there. Over 6 months its a long time to wait for a new phone (for me anyway haha)
  22. instaxgirl macrumors 65816


    Mar 11, 2009
    Edinburgh, UK
    Could you not swap with your sister when she moves to Blackberry?

    I just bought a 3GS a few days ago but I was upgrading from the 2G and I bought it on payg so I can always sell it and buy the new one.

    I'm still thinking of taking it back, it's a lot better than my 2G and my 3G signal is fantastic (it's faster than my 2G on wifi) but it still doesn't feel like enough has changed to justify the price. So part of me is thinking wait 8 months and buy whatever's next.
  23. Gaijin de Moscu macrumors regular

    Sep 25, 2006
    I got the 3GS yesterday, because my 1-year old daughter dropped my very first revision aluminium one into the bathtub.

    I feel a good speed increase, but I can't say I consider the 1,200 CHF I paid for it a good spend. Not much change vs. even the 1st generation for me. The new features don't really stand out, in my opinion.
  24. koollectablz macrumors 6502

    Feb 1, 2009
    I'm in the same boat and have decided to wait until the 4g. I was very nearly overcome and got a 3gs on PAYG when another guy in the office got his on launch day - I just couldn't justify the amount I'd have had to pay.

    Few months on and I'm glad I stuck with my 3g.

    Because they're exactly the same form factor the only real discernable difference is the speed - and then its only a matter of my 3g being 1/2 sec or so behind his 3gs when opening apps.

    The compass, camera etc have made zero difference. In fact I'm a little disappointed there hasn't been better usage of the 'new' features by now.

    Bring on June though and my moneys on the counter.
  25. mantan macrumors 68000

    Nov 2, 2009
    I vote wait as well. My contract was up recently and I thought long and hard about upgrading.

    I compared the 3GS at the store. There was no doubt it was noticeably faster at just about everything it did. But none of the new features really did much for me. And at the end of the day, the speed difference was nice - but not enough to not wait a few months to see what's coming in June.

Share This Page