iPhone 3GS O2 UK, unlimited text messages?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Esulatell, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Esulatell macrumors member

Is there any way to get unlimited texts on the new 3GS? All of the O2 UK plans come with 500 and they have taken away the unlimited text bolt on.
    For what I use my phone for, I need unlimited texts.
    So is there any way?

2. tyranical macrumors regular

Same situation as me matey, you can't get unlimited texts, the best you can do is buy the PAYG sim and order a simplicity sim off the website and put that in. Heres my calculations for this:

Option 1.

Pay & Go Iphone 3GS 16gb = £440.40
    Simplicity simcard @ £19.58 per month on the 12 month contract gives you 800 minutes + 1600 txts if ordered online. You also get a free bolt on with the simcard, choose Unlimited web bolt on which DOES cover 3G internet despite what some people on here have been saying.

Over 12 months this would amount to:

19.58 x 12 + £440.40 = £675.36

Advantages:

- On this tariff your getting, unlimited internet access, 800 minutes/1600 txts per month.
    - You miss out on wifi, however a Pay & Go Iphone comes with 12 months free wifi access. Even with the Simplicity sim in, when you try to connect to a wifi hotspot etc it asks for your mobile number, put in the number of the PAYG sim (even though its not in the phone) and it works, you get free wifi too!
    - Works out cheaper overall.
    - Your not tied into an 18 month contract, meaning that in 12 months time if Apple release another new iphone, you can get it immediately.
    - You could sell the iphone when the new one comes out for what, £200-300? So it could work out effectively costing you about £300 for a years use of an iphone.

Disadvantages:

-Is a bit more hassle.
    - You don't get visual voicemail or internet tethering.

Option 2.

£34.26 18 month contract with Iphone 3GS 16gb which gives you 600 minutes and 500 texts = £184.98 for the phone.

£34.26 x 18 + £184.98 = £801.66

Advantages:

- It includes visual voicemail and internet tethering is available for the additional cost.
    - Its less hassle.

Disadvantages.

- Alot less minutes/texts
    - More expensive overall (if you did the above for 18 months instead that still only comes to £792.84
    - Your tied into an 18 month contract.

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Dont no who told you about no unlimited texts? I dropped my tariff and added unlimited texts only 2 days ago.

4. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

I looked on the website and the unlimited bolt on has gone, replaced with family pack. I also asked in the O2 shop but 2 different employees told me to different things. One said yes and the other said no.

Well right now i'm on Orange with a blackberry and they just allow you to call them up and do what you want with your contract. When I got my blackberry I called them up and asked them to add a data tariff and they did it no problem. Can you not do that with O2? :/

5. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

The unlimited texts IS still there and its £7.50 a month. :) I cant stop sending MMSs now!!!

6. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

7. shrewd macrumors member

Esulatell, I presume you want the phone on a contract, as you talk about only being able to get 500 texts. There seems to be abit of confusion over the £7.50 Bolt ON which I too am not sure about, but if you go down the PAYG route (not sure if you want to).....

http://www.o2.co.uk/explore/tariffs/paygo

The 'Text Anytime' give you unlimited texts every month if you top-up £30 or more.

Hope this helps.

8. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

Ok well i added it 2 days ago so its still there. Ring them up.

9. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

What's the general support number?
    I can only find ones for specific O2 services, and right now, i'm not even on O2. :/

10. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I only know its 202 from an 02 phone. Best to look on there Contact Us page matey

11. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

Every support number either says "Call from O2 mobile" or "Call from your iPhone" :confused:

12. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Come on children - wake up! :D Look on most pages - 08442 020202

13. tyranical macrumors regular

Let us know what the O2 support staff say Esulatell as i'm in the same situation as you and i've decided im gonna have to buy the PAYG phone and put the simplicity sim in instead.

14. Esulatell thread starter macrumors member

15. stevie.hazel macrumors newbie

helloo.

don't know if this will help but i just got my iphone from carphone warehouse.
    for an extra 7.50 a month you can get unlimited texts from there :)

maybe try giving carphone warehouse a ring and see if they can offer anything?
    :)

hope that helps
    xx

16. Jimmy2shoes macrumors member

Just to klet you know, i recieved my 3gs 4 days ago from o2 on the £45 a month contract option, while upgrading i asked about the unlimited bolt on and they said i was "eligable for it" and said they added it.
    Anyway i called up today and was told it hadnt been added, which was a bit annoying, so i got a £10 vredit on my account and they have whacked it on straight away, so you can get it! but it really does depend who you get to talk to in the upgrades department!

17. jayenh macrumors 6502

yeah, my contract is up for renewal so i rang to see if i could keep unlimited texts since there such a fuss about them dropping it. they said i can keep it. based on what people are saying on the o2 customer forums they have added it back as an option, they just haven't advertised it on their site or stores. if you ask you shall receive :)

18. baker83 macrumors newbie

has anyone actually used a simplicity sim card in their iPhone? does it work ok. Just thinking i may do the same but don't want to be caught out by any hidden snags!

19. Soundburst macrumors 6502a

Hey.

I have the 3G. . .and it's going to be up for renewal in January. From January until June (the newer iPhone coming out lol) I will go simplicity. For £27.50 you can have Unlimited Texts and Unlimited Web. That's the £20.00 simplicity that includes unlimited web, and then 7.50 for unlimited texts.

You DON'T get visual voicemail though.

After 6 months of waiting, I will then go back to the newer super cool iPhone lol. . .and get the contract I have now. . .the cheapest iPhone contract AND an unlimited text bundle.

Does that sound like what you want to do?