Iphone 3GS Officially Unlocked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by atrljoe, Jun 23, 2009.

1. atrljoe macrumors member

Iphone 3GS Officially Unlocked

Can these be bought online? Or do you have to go to an apple store? Can I go to a AT&T store and get one of these also? I didnt see any stickies about this and tried searching but came up with so much other stuff.

Thanks

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

They are only available in countries where the phones are required by law to be sold unlocked.

3. allymac macrumors member

Australia and Italy are unlocked I think off the top of my head. In the UK there are two suppliers offering unlocked phones - expansys.com (no price listed for it yet, preorder only) or play.com for flipping silly money £899 :eek::eek::eek:

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

You can check the list of countries that sell "Unlocked' iPhones. You also, don't get a warranty on an iPhone that you buy that is not designed based on the part number not to be sold in that country.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937

For example; You purchase a phone from Italy and you want to bring it to America, Apple will not provide any warranty service.

Dave

5. JohnFa macrumors regular

You should rephrase this thread to something with factory unlocked.

6. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

In the European Union they (Apple) have to provide 24 months of reclamation. That's the law after all.

7. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Correction:
    The seller (ie. the person or retail corporation that actually conducted the final sale to the consumer), not the manufacturer, is responsible for providing 24 months of repair or replacement coverage. Which service they offer (repair, replacement, or both) is essentially left up to the seller's discretion.

If you bought it directly from Apple, then it's Apple's responsibility to provide those 24 months of coverage.

However, if you bought it through a 3rd party, then it's the 3rd party, not Apple, who has to provide that coverage.

If that 3rd party, say, a local electronics store chain that has a franchise agreement with a national mobile phone operator, doesn't have a general business presence in some other European nation, then you'd still be left with the practical necessity of getting the phone to a place where that local electronics store chain does have a general business presence, in order to make good on that coverage.

The manufacturer's warranty from Apple is a completely different beast than the retailer's obligations under EU law.

8. 199708 macrumors 6502

Hopefully somebody is bound to come up with a way to unlock the iphones without jailbreaking it.

International roaming chargers (softbank/Japan) are seriously through the roof, I like the idea of going to another country and purchasing a prepaid card.

I had a phone that was unlocked, but being 6 years old, the battery eventually shot itself, and there's no point in buying another phone for that 1month of travel i do a year.