iPhone 3GS on iOS 4 - Need some feedback

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ConnorTurnbull, Apr 22, 2011.

1. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

With the news of iPhone 5 not recognising the same yearly life cycle, I am thinking about picking up an 8GB 3GS as an interim phone for the next few months.

I want to go for the 3GS just because then I have the "older design" as I am trying to be a bit of an Apple collector. ;) Question is, does the S still apply? Is it still speedy under iOS 4.

Cheers!

2. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

It's hard to say. On some devices it still seems fast, but on others it seems noticeably slower.

Will it be as speedy as it was on 3.1.3? Probably not.

But it will still be perfectly useable. It won't be like the 3G running iOS 4. That was horrid.

3. terraphantm macrumors 68040

It's still significantly faster than the iPhone 3G, which is practically unusable in iOS 4. From what I remember about the 3GS (I only had it on iOS4 for a few days before upgrading to the iphone 4) the responsiveness is almost as good as the iPhone 4's. The 4 has an advantage when multitasking thanks to the ram, but it's not a huge difference in terms of responsiveness.

The screen on the 4 more than justifies the cost difference between the 3GS and 4 IMO. Once you get used to the retina display, you find yourself wondering how you ever tolerated the old display

4. ConnorTurnbull thread starter macrumors 6502

Awesome! It should get me through four or five months ;)

5. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Oh of course. No question. It still will seem pretty quick and speedy, but just not as speedy as it would of been on 3.1.3 for example.

My sister still uses a 3GS (Actually she uses my old one. She had a 3G before) She's very happy with the upgrade from the 3G > 3GS. She couldn't stand how much iOS 4 slowed down the iPhone 3G.

6. ConnorTurnbull thread starter macrumors 6502

It's my first iPhone so i've got nothing to compare it to except iPad 1 & 2. Thanks for your help!

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

It's perfectly fine. I don't notice much laggyness at all. Fakeclockup is a nice addition though.

8. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

That tweak is great on all iPhones. I have it on my iPhone 4. It's amazing!