iPhone 3GS on Month to Month?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gan6660, Aug 4, 2010.

1. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

I bought an iPhone 3gs off of a forum member and was wondering is it possible to sign up for the $39.99 voice plan and the $14.99 data plan on a month to month basis? I dont want to sign a 2 year contract because I dont know how good att is in my area.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Probably not, they may want a basic 12 mo contract.

Really though, AT&T are the folks to ask.

Remember also that there's a 30 day back-out clause; that should be plenty of time to figure out if the service coverage works okay for you.

3. AddingApple macrumors newbie

AddingApple

I am interested in your results with AT&T. I would like to do the same thing on a month to month but am unsure of how to ask the AT&T store on how to get the SIM.

I've read if you get a month-to-month phone and put it's SIM in the 3GS you will get a txt message saying that your account will have a $30 data plan added. What I didn't hear is if a contract was involved or not. Would they convert you to a contract at that point? I don't mind paying the data charges. I just don't want the contract at the moment.

If anyone has a foolproof way on how to go about this I will give it a shot.

4. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I found out that AT&T doesnt offer month to month and they dont even offer a one year contract. I just decided to use the iPhone as a gophone and its works great.

5. izzisdashiz macrumors member

Not true. I worked for AT&T until June. If you provide your own equipment, you are not tied into any sort of contract. I did this several times for people.

6. AddingApple macrumors newbie

AddingApple

i thought if you told them it was for an iphone they wouldnt let you do it. Plus, the gophone doesnt have data? i heard that people were getting texts informing them of chargesmfor data.

7. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

This is incorrect! I signed up with AT&T on their Month-to-Month plan with the 3GS, and I did NOT have to sign a contract at all.... I am now using the iPhone 4, and still not locked into a contract.

8. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

You found out the wrong info then, because you do NOT have to sign a contract with AT&T, if you are bringing in your own device, or paying full retail for it through AT&T.

9. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Nope, you can, if you are paying full retail for it. Doesn't matter if it's an iPhone or not. The month-to-month policy is the same.

10. AddingApple macrumors newbie

AddingApple

so get a gophone and bring it home, put the sim in a 3GS from craigslist and you are good to go ?

11. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I thought it wsa odd that they didnt offer that. Im going to give them a call today to see the prices and everything. I did the online chat with att and the rep told me they didnt offer month to month.

Not exactly. You have to get the gophone activate everything and then go to an att store and get another sim card and then stick it in the iPhone. I believe you could bypass getting the gophone and just getting a sim card and then activating it but Im not sure.

12. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

I didnt tell them it was for an iPhone. But I did talk to a rep on the phone and she said that it would work but that she wasnt supposed to tell me that because they want people signing contracts. And it does have data you just have to download something from a link in another thread that allows the normal browsing on the iPhone.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

All you need to do is use the IMEI # from any GoPhone. Go to the GoPhone site and click on activate GoPhone. It will ask for the GoPhones IMEI # plus the # on the sim card and then it will activate. Now all you need to do is place the sim in the iPhone and it will now work. Just login to the GoPhone site to select a plan and you are good.

14. AddingApple macrumors newbie

AddingApple

15. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Beyond a doubt.

16. gan6660 thread starter macrumors 65816

gan6660

Doesnt say anywhere that you cant do it. And if they really wanted they could make it were it wouldnt work at all.