iphone 3gs only works when plugged in (displays connect to itunes).

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by 2short514, Jul 9, 2011.

1. 2short514 macrumors newbie

hello all, i hope someone can help! here's the problem in a nutshell:

-iphone 3gs running 4.3.3 was dropped
    -iphone 3gs only works when plugged in (displays connect to itunes).
    -When unplugged screen stays black (even usb).
    -when plugged into the wall it displays connect to itunes (imei/iccid are unknown)
    -when unplugged, screen goes black and will not turn on
    -when plugged into PC, nothing happens
    -when put into DFU mode, itunes recognizes the iphone as an iphone in DFU mode (itunes does not display capacity, software or serial number)
    -i try to restore, and then it gives me an error 1601.
    -i tried uninstalling itunes and quicktime completely and reinstalling both, this did not resolve the error.

i hope someone can help! thanks!

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Seems you did some physical damage.

3. 2short514 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Sounds almost like battery damage if it won't stay on without being plugged in.

5. aususer macrumors newbie

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 1601 was related to a "non-standard" iphone battery or battery not installed - when you tried to do an upgrade (ie. DFU/Restore).

Might be worth crack your case open and have a look at the battery setup - maybe the connectors may have "bounced flat" or something - the battery is only held in place by a plastic connector, a screw and some adhesive tape - I wonder if it might have worked loose and thus throwing the error?

Might be worth having a dig around the case and see what you can see - maybe as simple as a battery replacement (if your up for that job - or get someone else to do it).. ??

6. 2short514 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thx for the help all! I've ordered a new battery and will be attempting the replacement. I'll let u know how it goes, but yes all signs point to the battery.

7. itsallaboutrich macrumors newbie

I'd be interested in knowing if the battery replacement resolved this. I gave my old iPhone to a friend and it's experiencing the same thing.

8. woodlandtrek macrumors member

Any updates? I've got a friend with the exact same problems. Did replacing the battery fix the problem?