IPhone 3GS or 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Martin29, Jan 17, 2011.

  1. Martin29 macrumors 6502


    Nov 25, 2010
    Quimper, France
    I have a 3GS 16Gb.

    Due to a recent change is tax law here (France) My monthly phone charges are to increase, but... the phone company are obliged to offer me a new contract since the one I signed is changed by the new law. They are proposing either to reduce my monthly tariff, or to upgrade me to an IPhone 4.

    I don't know whether there are substantial differences between the 3GS and the 4? So is it worth upgrading? I have to decide within 1 month so can't hold out for an IPhone 5.

    Would it be worth trying to persuade them to let me have an IPad, and keep the 3GS?

    Too many questions, but would like your suggestions.
  2. Small White Car macrumors G4

    Small White Car

    Aug 29, 2006
    Washington DC
    What happens if you wait for the iPhone 5?

    If you take the lower payment now and then, when the 5 comes out this summer, you can get a subsidized price on the 5 then I'd say do that and upgrade yourself this summer. It's worth waiting a little longer to jump 2 generations.


    If you take the lower payment and then your carrier still makes you pay full price for the 5...that's not worth it at all. In that case I say take the i4 now.

    So I can't tell you which one to do. You need to find out what your eligibility will be for the iPhone 5 around June/July. Can you get it cheaply or will your carrier charge full price? Find the answer to that and you'll have better information on how to make your current choice.

    I could tell you more if you were on at&t but since I'm unfamiliar with your company's rules you'll have to dig deeper yourself.
  3. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502


    Nov 25, 2010
    Quimper, France
    If I take the lower payment now, that will tie me for two years, ie. i'll be with my 3GS until Feb 2013. The 5 looks out of the question.

    Are there any real improvements in the hardware between the 3GS and the 4?

    If not I might be tempted to try and get an IPad out of them. Or.. I could get the 4, then sell my 3GS, add some and get the IPad.

    Or I could just reduce my monthly tarrif
  4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3


    Oct 1, 2005
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The screen is the biggest improvement and it's a massive one. If taking videos is important to you then the quality on the iP4 is much better as it is pretty decent for a 720p cellphone camera. Speed is faster on the iP4 but coming from a 3GS it may not be hugely noticeable.
  5. edk99 macrumors 6502a

    May 27, 2009
    So you are screwed either way it sounds. It sounds like both options would result in signing a new contract. So if you did nothing your phone company would drop you? I can't see all because of changes in tax laws that the phone company is obligated or forced to make you sign a whole new contract for 2 years. At minimum I would think if you had to sign something it would be to just the end of your current contract as an amendment and not a whole new contract for 2 years.
  6. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502


    Nov 25, 2010
    Quimper, France
    In some respects you are correct, I'm screwed whichever way. However, I do have the option to quit my contract now and change operator. (Not something I really want to do, but they don't know that :) )

    Also, I have the chance to change this year, one year earlier than would normally be the case.

    In any event the tax changes affect all operators so I'd be stuck with that so I guess anything I can get out of the operator now is a bonus.
  7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    Go with the iphone 4.
    You still got over 6 months till the next iphone comes out.
    And you can sell your 3GS and i4 and make more than enough to buy the new iphone 5 full price if you want later.
  8. kasakka macrumors 68000

    Oct 25, 2008
    I'd upgrade. Just for the much improved display and the better camera. The extra processor speed and RAM won't hurt either.
  9. iceterminal macrumors 68000


    May 25, 2008
    Dallas Tx.
    If you have to upgrade, then go with the 4. It is a big enough change in hardware and you'll love the new retina screen plus all the other goodies.

    But if you can, wait until the next phone comes out.
  10. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a


    Jul 15, 2010
    Can't you get charged less and then upgrade to the iPhone 5?
  11. Sedrick macrumors 68030


    Nov 10, 2010
    Also, think about this: Possibly as soon as this year, Apple will not support iOS on 3G devices. (by that I mean, new releases will have many features that will not work on your device - or not work well)

    I have a newer 3GS, but I'm sure going to upgrade this year, one way or the other.
  12. duction macrumors 6502a


    Jun 6, 2010
    U to the K
  13. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502


    Nov 25, 2010
    Quimper, France
    Waiting is not an option. See my earlier post.
  14. saberahul macrumors 68040

    Nov 6, 2008
    I personally feel the iPhone 4 is a great device. The iPhone 5 will be better; of course, because it is the next model. However, you cannot always see the next model - especially from a company who updates every year.
    I suggest obtaining the iPhone 4. If others in your family have an iPod Touch 4 or iPhone 4 - you will also be able to facetime with them. If they don't - you can easily skype video chat with them.
  15. zephxiii macrumors 6502

    Jun 21, 2010
    Get the 4 without a doubt. The camera and better battery life are the two biggest things for me.

    Other bonuses is that it is a real HSPA 7.2 device, GPS is more accurate, design is nice, screen is super, and......some other things.

Share This Page