iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch 4G?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by jdr00ejr, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jdr00ejr macrumors newbie

Howdy folks...

My 10yo son currently has an iPod Touch 2G. He's quite bummed that it won't upgrade to iOS 5 so he can't iMessage and such. We have discussed buying him a used iPod Touch 4G on Craigslist. Today I had the odd question in my mind - with the onslaught of yet another iPhone (the 4S) the 3GS is probably dropping in price on the used market. It appears that I can find used 3GS for around the $150 range (which seems a little high to me and I'm still searching) but I've only seen the iPod Touch 4G for the $150-200 range - usually the 16G ones.

So, with that said - it doesn't appear either have a flash on the camera. Both can run iOS 5. Is one faster than the other (better processor I'm assuming in the iPod Touch 4G).

Anyway - what think ye about which one would be better for him - knowing it'll never be a phone - just on wifi?

Thanks!

2. PicanteGamer macrumors newbie

The iPod Touch 4G has the retina display, a faster processor, and the front facing camera needed for FaceTime. It's also slimmer and lighter than the 3GS, and presumably will be supported by iOS updates for a longer time than the 3GS. So I'd say definitely go for the Touch since your son wouldn't be needing the phone feature.

3. jdr00ejr thread starter macrumors newbie

Most helpful! Didn't realize the Touch 4G had the Retina Display or the Front Facing Camera. That seals it for me. Fast and simple.

Thanks!

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

I'm going through the same motions at the moment, but I've decided on the 3G S because although FaceTime and retina display are nice my dumb phone's battery capacity is falling fast.

A couple of things to note:
    • The 3G S debuted in mid '09 and the iPod touch 4G in late '10, this means that the batteries in used 3G S' will be more depreciated
    • The 3G S and iPt 4G have the same amount of RAM, but the iPt 4G has a slightly faster CPU clock (same architecture though).
    • Although the 3G S doesn't have a flash, its camera (unlike the iPod) doesn't totally suck - it's very usable. The pictures the iPod produces are low-resolution grainy mess.

Add: The 3G S will not get iOS 6, but the iPt 4G will, so that's probably a massive factor for you.

Also, there isn't a 16GB iPod touch 4th gen, only 8/32/64GB.

5. jdr00ejr thread starter macrumors newbie

Had a right place at the right time moment and snagged a used 32G 4th Gen iTouch for $140. My 10yo is extremely happy!

6. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Good to hear that :)