iphone 3Gs or Nokia N97 for upgrade options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tubeoflondon, Jun 10, 2009.

1. tubeoflondon macrumors newbie

I am not sure at all cause i will be able to upgrade my phone in october and i spoke to o2 customer help,they said i can upgrade both phone on that time.

what would you do if u were me?

Any suggestions will made my life more easier :)

Thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    iPhone 3G S. That is probably the majority of the answers you are going to get here considering it is a Mac forum. ;)

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I think you're going to get a pretty universal answer considering you're on an Apple related website. Try a non-Apple and non-Nokia website and ask this question. Also, you might want to ask more specific questions. It's like asking, should I buy a $40,000 sports car or a $40,000 heavy duty truck? It kind of depends on what you need/want out of it.

4. matttye macrumors 601

Depends what you want your phone for really.

------ N97 ------

- *most* people can type faster on physical keyboards. The N97 has one.
    - The N97 has the same speakers as the 5800 - which are much better than the iPhone.
    - The N97 has a 5 megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics which records DVD quality video. Also has dual led flash.
    - N97 supports Adobe Flash.
    - N97 supports Micro SD cards for additional storage.
    - Nokia phones are usually excellent phones (decent ear speakers + good signal)
    - N97 has a 1500 mAh battery.
    - FULL bluetooth support, including file sharing.

------ iPhone ------

- iPhone has a faster processor.
    - iPhone has more user friendly software.
    - The app store > ovi store. (although the ovi store has only been out a week or two)
    - iPhone supports Nike+
    - Oil resistant screen.
    - Capacitive touchscreen (more responsive than the resistive touchscreen of the N97)

If you go by hardware alone the N97 completely wipes the floor with the iPhone, it's the iPhone OS that makes it such a good phone.

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i would not buy any nokia smartphones until the new symbian foundation OS is released. if you buy an n97 now, dont expect nokia to provide a firmware update to the new symbian foundation OS. nokias business model relies on driving hardware sales by not offering feature packs to older phones.

6. aerospace macrumors 6502a

If the N97 was $199 I'd strongly consider it, at $699 no subsidy no thank you.

7. The General macrumors 601

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I just was visiting a coworker in their cube today and fondled the N97.

I agree that the OS on the iPhone is amazingly good, which is why I own one. But... the N97 has a really good feel in the hand. The hardware, as noted, is awesome. If it ran Linux instead of S60, it'd be amazing. And I'm sure it'll be available with contract at a subsidized price similar to that of the iPhone.

Since Friday will be my last day with them before being laid off, I'm not exactly feeling loyal to the company, but even so, the phone is pretty cool. Not as cool as the coming N900, but... definitely something to look into. The resistive touchscreen isn't as nice as the touchscreen on the iPhone, but it has its advantages (you can use a stylus if you want, you can use it with gloves on, etc.). I still rank the iPhone higher simply because of the App Store, and I don't think Ovi will be competitive, but... the hardware is really sexy on the N97.

I'd still wait on the N900 if you can, though.

@The General: I completely disagree. The feel is very good, the quality is obvious, and the weighting is perfect.